What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting successes

Big%20Mouth%20Cutting.JPG

Here is picture of a cutting i have of my VFT "Big Mouth". I was meaning to just tear a leaf off but got more of the roots then planned.  Parent plant seems none the worse for it and now this cutting is growing so.........yahoooo!!!

Nice one.

That stuff looks a bit wet though - what is it?

50/50 mix of pool filter sand and peat. Sitting in tray of water so water is just wicking up into the mix. No as waterlogged as it looks in picture.

How did you go about doing the cutting? My three have failed so far but I haven't done anything special to keep 'em going. I'm also hoping the "when you're about to give up, they sprout" theory proves correct.

~ Brett

Has anyone tried water progation for vfts. I saw a thread on cpuk where someone did it successfully, but he used deionized water and not the usual distilled/ro water and according to the thread, it took about 3 months for the cutting to form.

I have. It wasn't successful for me, in my limited experience. Could have just been a fluke (with me). I had better success by placing the leaves, with the white part, into soil media - and waiting for several weeks.

Here's the same plant taken on October 15th
Big%20Mouth.JPG

Wow that's alot of growth congrats

Zac

Does the leaf have to be alive? I was pruning my VFT and a dead leaf had about a cm of white on the bottom, can I use it?

It never hurts to try to get a new plant from a leaf.  Ideally the leaf is alive and you choose one on the outer part of the rizone then tear it gently off the rizone getting some of the white from the rizone (do this without yanking the whole plant out of the pot).  I  use a skewer to hold the plant back while I yank on a leaf else the plant can get pulled out or over by the tugging.  Once you pull off a leaf you lay the leaf on your moistened medium and just cover the base with a pinch of your soil (peat/sand, peat/perlite, whatever you are using).  I then cover the container with plastic and put under my lights (40 watt flourescent 4 footers).  I am using one "Sunlight" and one "Daylight" in each fixture (GE bulbs).  If it grows then great, if not I just chuck it and don't talk about it.

then it got to this on November 20th.

Big%20Mouth%20cutting.JPG

So I split it into this-
Big%20Mouth-%20Separated%20Plants.JPG

Wow thats amazing growth curlingguy, and you have some very beautiful VFT's.

I'm jealous... those are growing very fast for VFTs

again congrats,

Zac

Here's what I do-

1) 50/50 sand and perlite (got sand from a hot tub place- its filter sand).   Melt holes in bottom of container and sit in water tray (if container does not already have holes obviously).    

2) Use four foot flourescent lights.  One GE Daylight and one GE Sunshine bulb in each fixture (have three lights as have three shelves).  Not sure if going with both lights being the higher lumen bulb (the Daylight one) would be better but that's what I'm using and seems to work.

lol! The other day (ok, so more like a few weeks back) I was moving around some sarracenia and I accidentally made a cutting of a VFT. The substrate is often VERY dry, but it surprised be and actually took!

Nice work curlingguy. How far are your plants from the bulbs?
Stephen

Great cutting successes. My cuttings of "Big Mouth" seem to grow much slower. Good colour too.

Months later...

I wonder how they look now!

Hi, when putting the leaf on the soil, which direction must it face? Savage Garden says "right side up", but what exactly does that mean?

The "right side" would be the top side of the leaf, e.g. "top side" up.

Back