What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool flytrap video article

heh, pretty cool.. thanks for the link!

-Jc

Interesting Vid

Zac

P.S. if you want to save it to your computer right click and press save link as...

Pretty cool stuff. I wonder how much money a Venus Flytrap grower makes a year
confused.gif

Watched it and appreciate your posting the link. The video does start out where you ask yourself- why am I watching a video of a young child identify car makes/models??

But then it gets to the good stuff....

mad.gif
   UGH.  That's FlyTrapFarms.  For your information, they FIELD COLLECT.  I know this for a fact as I had a rather heated exchange with them a year or so ago over it.  They have "farmers" who go out and collect the plants and bring the plants to them.

Now that's not to say ALL the plants they sell are field collected.  But they make no bones about what they are doing.  If you notice on their web site, most of what they sell are CPs native to their area.  And you'll notice their website does not have a disclaimer stating their plants are all from TC or their own propagated seed.

They say the "farmers" have been doing this for generations and that they have permits to collect. But the fact is, even with a permit, FlytrapFarms has no idea exactly where the plants came from that the "farmers" bring in. Maybe legally collected...maybe not.

Personally I don't agree with the practice when other nurseries use TC plants.

mad.gif
Man, really lame. I was quite unaware of that, so thanks for the info PlantAKiss. I HATE field collectors
smile_h_32.gif

I watched the video, this greenhouse is 5 miles from my house. I've been there a few times. I have seen with my own eyes thousands of vft bulb that were dug up and laying in a wooded box waiting to be planted in pots. I was told that they were "rescued" from a piece of land that was being developed. At the time I had no reason to doubt him. But as time went on I started putting more pieces together. It became clear what was going on. I won't say anymore than that for obvious legal reasons. But There is very little propagation that goes on there. If you'll notice, almost all of the nonnative plants they sell are considered weeds, like capensis.
I really don't know what more I can say about them on a public forum. If anybody wants more info they are free to ask in a pm.
But please don't make the same mistake I made, don't buy from them.

I did notice that all of them were of the 'common' type; which may add creedance to your claim

Back