What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walmart has vft!

• Thread starter prizmbatch
  • Start date
Yes, they are VERY local. I see them at Yardbirds all the time. I don't think Yardbirds is found anywhere else but California, but I don't know for sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Statik2426 @ Feb. 26 2006,11:37)]The Home Depot, OSH, and Yard Birds in my city all have Venus Flytraps from Bloom Rite Nurserymen's Exchange. I haven't seen anyone else mention VFTs from this company. Maybe their plants are found only around the Bay Area, the company is in Half Moon Bay, CA.
They are A LOT better than any of the CP i've seen from Gurbler Orchids (which Home Depot usually has).

I bought this one 3 weeks ago:
VFT.jpg
That company is the same that sells to the Walmarts I've been to for VFTs.

Your picture is absolutely tremendous, I must give it my plaudits, but I've NEVER seen VFT that large/gorgeous in any of the places I've seen it sold. You are SUPER LUCKY!!

How have you been taking care of it? Did you acclimatize it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carito @ Feb. 26 2006,2:11)]That company is the same that sells to the Walmarts I've been to for VFTs.

Your picture is absolutely tremendous, I must give it my plaudits, but I've NEVER seen VFT that large/gorgeous in any of the places I've seen it sold. You are SUPER LUCKY!!

How have you been taking care of it? Did you acclimatize it?
The day I bought the plant, it looked like the plants just got to the store that day (they were sitting on a big rack with a lot of other plants waiting to be put in the right place).

The weather for most of the past few weeks here has been very sunny, in the 70's. For the first week, it was on southwest facing window which got morning sun (from about 7:30 to 11). I noticed that the southeast window in my room had more light (around 11 to almost 4:30), so it has been there ever since. I keep the window open during the day.

Most the the traps were slightly red when I got it, but now they have turned burgundy. I noticed that there is a baby plant coming off the side now.

I was at home depot yesterday and couldn't resist getting another.
VFT2.jpg

The color of the new one is about how the one on the left looked 3 weeks ago. I expect the newer plant to look even better than the other one once it reddens up and the traps re-open all the way, it has bigger traps.

Looks like it'll be a while before the new VFT turns red.
It has been raining the past 2 days and the forecast predicts rain for at least the next 10 days.

The rest of the country is clear, it's just the west coast right now. =(
curwx_277x187.jpg

Oh well, at least I can collect rain water. I'm just concerned for my windowsill VFTs because they'll probably get confused. They've been having warm sun for weeks and suddenly it'll be gray skies for a while. I was about to put them outside with the others.

edit: I didn't know that picture updates itself. haha. It no longer shows the massive rainstorms that were covering the west coast.

Ooooh, a weather map! I have a 30 gallon plastic trash barrel staged to collect water, in good ole East Aurora (near Buffalo) It is filled to capacity with water - frozen solid! I also have a series of buckets around it, so I can thaw them easily!

Back