What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone! new here and a few q's.

smilie4.gif
Ok finaly done with repoting, i was pretty busy today so didnt get home till late plus i had snake cages to clean and tarantula tanks to clean and redo bedding. Anywas wow talk about a nervous wreck when transplanting something, i was so worried i wouldnt get it right or something would happen but it all went well and all the VFTs now are in new larger pots with fresh new potting mix and moss. The one with the teeny tiny baby i left right next to the other one since i didnt take all the old potting mix away from the bulb area i just took some from around it and the bottom where there was no roots and stuck it down in a depresion i had made in the new pots and potting mix then lightly and gently coverd up with the new mix and then carefully lifted the leafs/traps and placed damp moss around the base of the plant and top of pot. Any water or soaking i had to do was with distilled water only. Im gona leave the lights off just so i dont hurt them any more than i have and in the morn will turn the lights back on.
I feel like a new mommy that just gave birth to some green alien kids. LOL!! My better half JR came out and said "Geesh woman ya treat them plants better than me!!"LOL!!
smile_n_32.gif
Does anyone know how many weeks it will take for them to adjust from the repoting?? Im gona resize the pics and then get um posted of how they look now.

jimscott, Heart is a cool band but if its pertaining to my name Barracuda well thats a long story, its a nick name my kids gave me yrs ago, everyone calls me CUDA for short.
smile.gif
Anytime ya wana know anything just ask im not shy..
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 20 2005,6:37)]Does anyone know how many weeks it will take for them to adjust from the repoting?? Im gona resize the pics and then get um posted of how they look now.
My plants usually recover from transplanting in a few days unless I get graceful and drop the pot as I'm try to get the plant out. Then it might take a few weeks for the damaged leaves to be replaced. Most of the time though the plants don't miss a stride and keep right on growing.

Thanks BigCarnivourKid...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!
smile_l_32.gif
 Forgot to adjust the cam settings, sorry for the blurry pic, heres what they look like now back in the tiny terrarium.
VFTtransplantrepotingdone.jpg

i know i know it aint perffect but hey its my first time working with these little delicate gems.. And yes the traps did close while i was transplanting.
VFTtransplantrepotingdone5.jpg

Wow my cam settings are way off.. YUK! Or its the lights from the terrarium thats throwing off the pretty color the VFTs have.
VFTtransplantrepotingdone3.jpg

I hope i did ok with my precious little babies, do they look ok??

Looking good man. I know my repotting never looks that clean
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 20 2005,8:37)]jimscott, Heart is a cool band but if its pertaining to my name Barracuda well thats a long story, its a nick name my kids gave me yrs ago, everyone calls me CUDA for short.
smile.gif
Anytime ya wana know anything just ask im not shy..
smile_m_32.gif
You're not named after an old Heart song? Oh well, I tried. Then there's the M*A*S*H episode that mentions a fictitious barracuda. Should we ask why you are called a barracuda?    
smile_k_ani_32.gif

We have relatively few female type people on this forum or into this hobby, but from you pet description, it would appear that you would fit in quite well. So many of the so few have pet snakes and/or pet tarantualas and/or pet rats.

No doubt your VFT's are from tissue culture, but I am no expert in determining how old they are, prior to purchase or what time of year they think itis. This is the time of year for VFT's to be in the process of going dormant and I'm not sure just what yours are wanting to do. When I took this hobby seriously, two years ago, I bought a VFT in June, and a trio in a pot in late August. I grew them open tray, on a window sill and let them naturally get reduced photoperiod and cooler temps, before I put them in the fridge for dormancy. I was rewarded with flowers in the spring. so my plants responded well from their late summer purchase, followed by a dormancy.

Quote, Should we ask why you are called a barracuda?

Ok short version, im outgoing, always up for a challange, wont back down from anything, do things other women are scared to do, dont take crap from anyone, i rule the house, and one day my oldest daughter came home and said "Whats up Barracuda woman!" She says "mom your the only woman i know that goes in for the kill and comes out on top".. Now what brought that about i dont know but the nick name stuck and has been with me ever since even now when my oldest calls me shes like "Hey Barracuda mom." LOL!! I guess my kids see me as a very tuff woman and one that stands her ground no matter what happens. Maybe its time to get a Barracuda fish with huge sharp teeth tattooed on the back of my neck with "Barracuda" above it.. LOL!! Some people call me BW=Blackwidow Woman cause i have a Black widow tat on the side of my neck i preffer Cuda the most.
smilie4.gif

Now for the other critters its a mini zoo here, we have all sorts critters i raise Boa's and Pug dogs, but have tarantulas i use to have 79 of them now down to my personal favs, 47 Land hermit crabs, and no not the kind your thinking of. LOL!! I have a F2 Junglebob part african jungle cat part pixie bob, exotic short haired persian, a english bulldog, pond with pond fish, use to have alot of scorpions and african fattail gecko & lep geckos & frogs, llamas, horses, chickens, cows and other sorts of critters i just didnt have time to devote to them anymore and was working on my Boa breeding so i adopted those all out, I have lots rabbits we use for breeding due to we need them for feeders for the boas and my freezer is full of rats that are for the smaller boas, we use to raise rats but when it got over 200 and my barn outside was filled to capacity and i needed room for the rabbits we needed to cull all the rats and freez them to make room for the rabbits.

Now for the VFT's im gona go ahead and do what was sugested by others on here and let them grow till around Dec or January and then do the dormancy period, in less than 1 1/2 wks i can put the little terrarium in my office window by then the leafs are off the trees and sun will come thru the window for part of the day its not to cool though in the window, i really dont have any places in the house for a temp drop other than on the floor by the back door at night as a draft comes in there. Last night it droped down to 29% it was plain outright freeeeeezing here.. LOL!! I know they need a dormancy period so they will get one either way, im hoping the photo period change being in the window and me placing them by the back door at night will help when it comes time. Unless anyone else has any better sugestions for me??

Ok short version, im outgoing, always up for a challange, wont back down from anything, do things other women are scared to do, dont take crap from anyone, i rule the house, and one day my oldest daughter came home and said "Whats up Barracuda woman!"

Should we be afraid? Very Afraid?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

Land hermit crabs, and no not the kind your thinking of.

I was thinking typical hermit crabs from the pet shop. What were YOU thinking?  
smile_m_32.gif

Now for the other critters its a mini zoo here, we have all sorts critters i raise Boa's and Pug dogs, but have tarantulas i use to have 79 of them now down to my personal favs, 47 LOL!!  

Do you charge admission? Have you ever thought of building or renting an ark?

You'll fit in real fine around here! You and Pinkerton and Prizmbatch and Unknownclown and WickedThistle and JoJo and Rattler MT and Ozzy and Elegecko and...

I have a F2 Junglebob part african jungle cat part pixie bob, exotic short haired persian

Ever hear of a Maine Coon? That's my favorite.

If it were me, I would acclimate the VFT's to being outside and let nature reduce its photoperiod and temps until the overnight lows are being forecasted to stay below 30. They can take freezes. At that point, one could either mulch up the plants and winter them outside, as some in the North do, or you can take the already asleep plant and place it in the fridge until late winter. Now there will be other opinions to handle them, like skipping a dormancy altogether. This is just my opinion, having purchased VFT's in the late summer and putting them successfully through a dormancy.

Keep asking questions!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 21 2005,1:12)]Should we be afraid? Very Afraid?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

Land hermit crabs, and no not the kind your thinking of.

I was thinking typical hermit crabs from the pet shop. What were YOU thinking?  
smile_m_32.gif

Ever hear of a Maine Coon? That's my favorite.
jimscott, you crack me up bud.. LOL!! No ya dont have to be affraid..
smile.gif

And the crabs yup are you land type from a petshop but most of mine were rescues no one wanted or peoples kids got tierd of i gave them a good home. Sometimes when someone mentions crabs you know people are think CRABS!! Eeeeeeek the kind ya dont want..
smile_n_32.gif

Maine coon cats are nice BIG domesticated cats, They are also used in creating the Savannah cat, which is a cross between a Afican Serval and the Main coon or they use a Bengal cat to cross to the Serval to get the Savannah, they are very beautiful HUGE cats that look almost identical to the Serval depending on which generation they are F1, F2, F3 and so on all males born are sterile till the 4th and 5th generation. Just like our male F2 Jungle Bob hes sterile to.

Now for a update on my little VFTs' they are doing very well, no blackening of the traps or leafs and they have not lost there nice color, all the traps have opend again except for a few that ate flies and what growth was going on befour i transplanted/repoted is going along nicely and the new little forming traps are getting larger, the poor little one my girlfriend brung over looks much better and is still growing. So i guess doing what i did was good for them and they truely apreciate fresh potting mix and outa that city water crap. Im so gald everyone here has helped me and i thank you all tons for that..
smile_m_32.gif
I shall keep everyone updated as the weeks go by how there doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 23 2005,8:55)]Maine coon cats are nice BIG domesticated cats, They are also used in creating the Savannah cat, which is a cross between a Afican Serval and the Main coon or they use a Bengal cat to cross to the Serval to get the Savannah, they are very beautiful HUGE cats that look almost identical to the Serval depending on which generation they are F1, F2, F3 and so on all males born are sterile till the 4th and 5th generation. Just like our male F2 Jungle Bob hes sterile to.
They are just the most beautiful and sweetest cats around! My wife, shortly before we met, bought a kitten and its phenotype is indistinguishable from that of the Brown Tabby Class Maine Coon. I'm sure, since it was somehting she bought for $8, its genotype was likely that of "thoroughbred mongrel". Still, it turned out to be longhaired, with strong legs, and had the sweetest disposition. That cat was my buddy and would fall asleep in my arms, on his back, with outstretched front paws. Unfirtunately, he died, 3 years later, from complications due to FUS. Someday, we hope to get a Maine Coon kitten.

whoa, Cuda and I both introduced ourselves in the same thread and we're both women!

this is incredibly amazing to me pre-coffee.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 23 2005,10:57)]whoa, Cuda and I both introduced ourselves in the same thread and we're both women!

this is incredibly amazing to me pre-coffee.
Aw.... we don't think of you two as women! Right guys?  
smile_m_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

May I ask what major you have chosen? Oh, and do you like Irish Cream or Amaretto?

I'm a biology major...I absolutely LOVE it. (who would have known that plant anatomy course I begrudged at the time would turn out to be so useful?) And hopefully I'll be able to complete minors in art and spanish, depending on whether I can get into the courses this semester (my last, sniffle.)

at the time I couldn't have cared less about plant anatomy. I mean I did the work and learned quite a bit, but I couldn't see how it would ever be useful. Then I got my VFTs...and I'm all "Sweet! 3 apical meristems!"

CPs are even more fascinating to me since I've learned about all the genetics and modification of leaves involved. Dentate traps and things like that are basically one time in a zillion, a few atoms lose their place in line, and look how different the plant turns out.

I think Charles Darwin called VFTs the world's most wonderful plant. I have to say I agree.

wow, I'm much more talkative now. yay for coffee!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 23 2005,11:43)]I'm a biology major...I absolutely LOVE it.  (who would have known that plant anatomy course I begrudged at the time would turn out to be so useful?)  And hopefully I'll be able to complete minors in art and spanish, depending on whether I can get into the courses this semester (my last, sniffle.)

wow, I'm much more talkative now.  yay for coffee!
smile.gif
You Go Girl!! Thats awsome and yup coffee helps everytime.. J/K!! Geesh i think im to old for school..
smile_l_32.gif
Me i like my roasted pecan coffee i get that going first thing while all my fur kids are out on a potty run in the morn, but when JR gets up he has to have his Uban coffee he hates the flavord coffees.

yeah I'm with you on the flavored coffee...I normally just brew a few cups of plain old folgers, and then use hazelnut Coffeemate....mmmm.

Hmmm.... interesting.... neither of you jumped all over my mock insult tease thingy, but instead opted to discuss coffee. Strange.

Personally, I have a cup of coffee nearly every day - and that's 2 hours later, after a good, hearty breakfast, at work. Caffeine does nothing for me. My system doesn't recognixe caffeine. I am one of those few and rare "morning people" who wake up early, have energy from the get go, cheerful, and talkative. And of course I married a night owl! It takes more time to doctor up my coffee than it does to drink it. I get teased about having coffee with my milk or creamer. I am definitely a latte person, rather than an espresso one!

Bio major? I was suppose to be one because my guidance counselor thought my tropical fish hobby most closely resembled what he thought I should be. So I took AP Bio in 12th grade and went to freshman orientation as such. However, I was re-directed by my own endocrine system by a female type person whom I met and hit it off with, who was going to be an Environmental Science major. The next thing I knew, I was filling out my first semester with courses called Intro to Env Sci & Env Chem w/lab. And of course she changed her major (twice) and the friendship faded - but my life was forever changed! Life is funny like that!

So, Presto, can you still recite the Krebs cycle?

'cuda: 'fur kids'?

Check out these fun topics from awhile back:

coffee

morning lark

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 23 2005,3:31)]Hmmm.... interesting.... neither of you jumped all over my mock insult tease thingy, but instead opted to discuss coffee. Strange.

'cuda: 'fur kids'?

Check out these fun topics from awhile back:

coffee

morning lark
jimscott, you are so silly, i guess i didnt say anything because it dont bother me.
smile_m_32.gif
you will notice us ladies like to talk about daily things such as the coffee or how bad our better half misses the toilet when peeing... LOL!!

As for this fur kids= dogs, cats or any other animal you have that has fur as we consider um our kids just as much apart of our family as our own children. Just like if someone says to you hows your fids? Well fids=featherd kids=birds, just like plants we call them LGON=living gifts of nature=precious gems.

And thank you tons for the links great topics!!
smile.gif

Did you say toilet seats?

toilet seats topic

There just happens to be a topic about that! Life is so serious, so the discussion forum is a fun outlet.

I understand about the fur kids and such. We have one cat now, but we used to have 3 and we have as many as 8, when you toss in the litters of kittens.

'Bout time we got some more WOMEN on here! Far too much testosterone in these forums.
smile_l_32.gif

Welcome to Cuda and Presto.
smile.gif

The plants are lookin' good.

I'm new to these forums too! I've just bought a couple of VFTs from Capital Nursery about a week ago, though my plants don't look as nice as Barracuda's. By the way, you have really nice looking plants. =]

Hi Gemini

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif
Don't worry...I'm sure your plants look fine. And even if they don't, they grow! There is always the opportunity to improve on your plants.

Hope you enjoy the forums and join in.
smile.gif

Back