What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing machine

Noticed one of my VFTs had ten traps that had caught a fly.  Never seen one so efficient at catching bugs.  Wonder what the most one has caught at one time would be (of course manual feeding not permitted).

Anyone beat ten?
10%20Dead%20Flies.jpg

I have forty-seven (but 32 are seed sprouted and very small).

I grew my VFTs outside all season and I was surprised at how many insects they caught.  As soon as a new trap opened up, it would catch an insect within 12 hours.

Brian

curlingguy, thats a awsome pic of your VFT with all the traps full with flies. Beautiful VFT you have there. Its to cold for flies here so i had to feed mine. I just use a container of fly larva from the bait store, keep them warm enough and they pupate into flies within a week then i can feed my VFTs.. Thanks for sharring the pic and everything about your VFTs..
smile_m_32.gif

Hmmm...... it begs the question..... is this incredibly competent plant in your room?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

1) Jimscott I don't get your point.
2)  The VFT is growing indoors in my kitchen area.
3) Here's another photo (three that I gif'd together)

10deadflies.gif

That was an attempted veiled tease about what you room conidtions were, so as to attract all those flies. Moving right along.... it begs the question as to how the kitchen is attracting all these flies.
smile_m_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
biggrin.gif

No problem Jimscott just did'nt get it the first time.

I don't know why so many flys getting caught. Would think there was more earlier this year when there were more fruit flies around and about. My thought is that this VFT is good at attracting the bugs- maybe its attractant is particularly attractive to a passing fly who stops to investigate....then.....game over.

Okay, so we shouldn't assume that your kitchen shouldn't be condemned by the health department? (As usual, just kidding!)

Think about where some of the supplemental flavoring comes from.....
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif

Back