What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok so i got it but need help

well the terririum came today, but i need help on some questions. when i got home i saw a lot of them were liek black or brownish, so i cut them off, but where am i suppose to cut? the whole thign on just the black parts., and im not sure but i think someoneplanted the plants before i got home, and now a venus fly trap plant looks liek a ball of dirt, and i dunno where the root are on that thing

ok so i did, but waht if on the pitcher p lants, the top leaf thing is brown, do i cut that off? or leave it

As a general rule of thumb, you may cut anything that is brown or black. Anything green has life and can do photosynthesis.

What exactly came with your terrarium? When you say "a lot of them" are you talking about traps? But you also mention a pitcher plant. Is this a terrarium with mixed CPs in it?

As stated, you can cut off any dead (brown or black) parts but leave anything that is green. Even though CPs eat bugs, they get their main food supply from photosynthesis like any other plant. So the more green, the more surface area to make food.

If its traps on a flytrap that are black, cut them off. They only live for a while and then die off anyway so don't worry. They will continue to grow more leaves (although their dormant period is approaching).

If you have mixed CPs, you will need to know what kind of plants you have to distinguish between what might need dormancy (flytraps and Sarracenia for example) and what does not need dormancy (a tropical sundew for example).

Anything that is covered in dirt will not be damaged if you take a spray bottle and spritz it to clean it off to find roots. Just make sure, as with all CPs, that your water is PURE (distilled, rain or reverse osmosis water).

Congrats on your new plants.
smile.gif

well i got two pitcher plants, and one butterwort and one vft. there hasnt been much sun in sd latley its all cloudy, well i got reverse osmosis water.

Back