What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First vft today anything i need to know (wal-mart)

well i bougt my first venus fly trap today at wal-mart. it looks very healthy. insides of the traps are deep rep and everything else is very green. i bought a gallon of distilled water for it, and baby crickets. ok im not sure wether to put it outside or not, i live in phoenix, its kinda dry here its about 90-100 degrees during the day. should i put it outside with a small bucket of distilled water, or leave on window seal with its casing around it??? there was one black trap that i cut off. but yeah anything i should know please tell me. will transplanting into a bigger pot cause it to grow bigger
confused.gif
or leave it in its small pot that it came in, how big should i expect it to get? thanks leave me with your insight

For now I would leave it on a SW window sill, sitting in a plastic container of the distilled water. This is the time of year when the plant normally goes into dormancy, so I would let it get naturally reduced photoperiod and when the temps get lower than your room temps, it can go outside. Ther will be a variety of opinion on how to deal with winter. So stay tuned. Welcom eot the discussion forum!

Hello there

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new plant.
smile.gif

The distilled water is good. With the crickets you will have to make sure they are no bigger than about 2/3 the size of the trap they are going in. Oversized bugs can cause the trap not to be able to close all the way which could let in bacteria and rot your trap. If that happens, not to worry--your plant will make more traps. Its not a big deal...but if you kept feeding it bugs that are too big, none of the traps would seal and digest.

You will probably need to pay a little more attention to humidity than some people in more humid areas but the tray system works well. Maybe Andrew (Adnedarn) who lives in AZ can offer suggestions to you.
smile.gif
Your VFT likes full sun but be careful of the temps out there...too hot it can fry.

VFT are now heading towards dormancy. However plants new out of tissue culture (like most store-bought plants are) can usually skip the first season so its up to you if you want to put it "to sleep" this fall or not.

Putting it into a large pot does not necessarily get you a bigger plant. They grow fairly slowly. I would think the pot you got your plant in will be good for at least the next year or more.

Good luck with your plant.
smile.gif

Back