What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In death do we not part

Cindy

Staff member
VFT_ants_rs.jpg

VFT_ants2_rs.jpg

VFT_ants_closeup.jpg

Honestly, my husband and I were totally baffled when we found a leaf closed with some bulging 'bug' inside. I thought he fed the plant while he thought I fed the plant. It turned out that two ants wondered their way in, at the same time, and got caught.

Err...Do ants mate like that??
confused.gif

Interesting... Are those ants? They kind of look like flies to me.

They look like paper wasps to me.

Yea, that's how they mate. I don't know about ants, but I seen wasps mate like that in animal planet or discovery channel I forgot.

smile.gif
Those are awsome pics Cindy, very nice!! Yup deffinately not ants, ants have certain males that breed with the queen thats always way down in the burrow/nest someplace unless its fresh queens that have just taken flight to start there own colony. Those look like flies we see around here that hang out with the live stock, very tiny.

Maybe they're termites? Awesome pics, nonetheless! No bloodworms this time.
smile_h_32.gif

Wasps?! *rushes out to take a look*

Yeah, now that you guys mentioned it. And they were mating...  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

jimscott, check out the Butterwort Forum.  
smile_m_32.gif

Cindy, you killed a husband and wife?! Tsk Tsk!

I saw some recent pics of heart-shaped bloodworms.
smile.gif

so tragic...so COOL...
smile.gif

definitely look like wasps. they're missing a couple of key wasp features though.  Wasps have antennae and a large second pair of wings...doesn't look like this couple have those.

my money's on robber flies...the fly order don't have antennae or a large second pair of wings.

Whatever they are, or were, they're definitely not happy campers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 08 2005,8:29)]Whatever they are, or were, they're definitely not happy campers.
They were until they found their way into that vft. What a way to go!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 08 2005,9:17)]Cindy, you killed a husband and wife?! Tsk Tsk!
But they died wearing a smile
smile_n_32.gif

Maybe their carcasses will provide a barrier for the young, and they will emerge, ready to avenge the death of their parents.
smile_n_32.gif
Just a thought.....

-Ben

Avenge? OH, NO!!!! NINJA ROBBER FLIES!!!!!!

No ninjas, no young, just carcasses...  
smile_n_32.gif

waspcouple.jpg

Back