What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutant traps on x paradisia

Gidday, I recenty bought a D. muscipula x paradisia and noticed that it has a few mutant traps:

D.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before (I assume it woudn't be that rare).

Also I just triggered the trap with it's inner hairs (on the smaller part of the trap and the whole thing closed. Not sure if it would actually form a seal and digest an insect but I have stuck a small fly in it and with any luck it won't escape. Will tell you how it goes...

Cheers,
Brad

That trap is really kewl looking

yeah it's currently flowering so I would like to grow some from it's seed and see if there are some that are more mutated than this one. Does anyone know if I need to pollinate it with another plant to get viable seed or can I just do it from flower to flower on this one?

pretty sure you can pollinate it with itself

wow a trap within a trap thats really cool looking.
smile.gif
Great pic to!!!
smile_m_32.gif

Hey thanks man. It looks like they can digest insects - it has closed and formed a seal, though there is a very small hole at the corner where the inner trap joins but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. The flowers are producing alot of pollen, unlike my other VFts so hopefully I will get alot of seed from it. It would be great to cultivate a strain where all the traps were mutated!
smile.gif

I could name it after myself too! ;)

Paradisia_Mutant_Closed1.jpg

Paradisia_Mutant_Closed2.jpg

The mutated traps are always interesting but I doubt the trait will be enhanced much in the following generation- definitely worth a try though.

I see you are from Melbourne, so am I.

If the bigger trap closes and it digests the smaller trap, would it be called a vegetarian carnivous plant....makes you wonder
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]would it be called a vegetarian carnivous plant

Above that it would be a canabalistic vegetarian carnivorous plant

Just to be pedantic, deformed traps are not described as mutated traps. A mutation is a genetic fault that would be present in every single trap.

Seandew - good to see a fellow Antipodean here. I got the plants from Triffid Park's Open Day. Did you make it down?

Alvin - do you think the traps could be deformed from an external source rather than a genetic defect?

I think the trap is interesting regardless of whether it's mutated or deformed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Merkin @ Nov. 10 2005,1:56)]Seandew - good to see a fellow Antipodean here.  I got the plants from Triffid Park's Open Day.  Did you make it down?
Yep, I was there.

I did recognize the labels in the pots and assumed that you must have picked them up during the open day.

Which suburb do you live in?

I'm in Fitzroy, how about you?

I spoke to a few people there - did you hang around for the nepenthes clones getting potting out?

Gemini - thanks, me too!

I'm in Melton. I was there for the deflasking of the Neps. I was asked to perform the demonstration myself but managed to avoid it. I was hanging back in the outer.

oh right - think i saw you get a bucket of water for the demo, right? I was the tall guy with glasses and my girlfriend was there too.

That was a good day, i grabbed heaps of plants. Unfortunately I didn't get a couple of plants I wanted cos i thought i was going to spend more than i actually did. Guess i can wait till the show at garden world in december...

No not me. I kept well away from the shed. I think I may remember seeing you and your girlfriend. Were you towards the front on the left hand side?

I didn't spend much money there, most of the interesting things I already have.

I will probably see you at the show in December, I'm the vice president of the society and will be there most of the time.

Back