What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage or fridge?

I was wondering wat was recomended, a garage or fridge? My garage stays at a constant 37-38F and so dus mu fridge. Is there an advantange or disadvantage to a fridge or garage?

I'd go with the garage, as there is likely more air circulation and if you can get them at a window, they will respond to the increase in photoperiod when the solstice turns things the other way.

OK thx. Any other people think differently or the same but hav more info? Also, should I use a fungicide?

I agree with Jim--garages are typically better because of better air circulation among other things. I use a refrigerator because that's my only choice.

I use the garage for my plants.
If you keep the plants on the dry side you do not need to worry about fungicide.

OK. Thats good. Ill keep them in my garage and I dont have a window I could put them in, is this ok? I think they'll be in a deep enough dormancy but Im not sure...

Generally, they prefer getting lower temps ALONG with reduced photoperiod. Have they been in front of a window for the past few months? If so, they've already experienced a gradual decline in daylength and it should be ok to put them in the garage.

Yes, it's ok just as long as they're in a deep dormancy. Only then will they not require so much light. I place my plants outside where they'd usually go dormant, but right now we've been getting pretty warm temperatures during the day and cool-ish temperatures during the night. They should be going into dormancy pretty soon though.

Well.... they've been outside so they hav expereicened a decline of daylite. Im going to put them in the garage at about Thanksgiving. They've experienced their first frost last nite so I think they'll b ready for dormancy in the garage by then.

Yes, that should be ok. We haven't have frosts yet. It's still been pretty warm here, and sort of cool during the night.

Back