What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timing of flowering

droseraguy

Illinois
Does anyone have a general idea on the timing from start of spring to flowering ? Kind of like poinsettias ? You know there is a definitive period from rooted cutting to sale time.

How do the various varieties respond ?
Which is first and following through to the last ?

Come on you hort guys and girls !! Timing is everything !

Your notion of "Spring" is the weak point. From a plant's point of view, Spring in northern Canada is far different from Spring in Florida. Spring in a heated greenhouse with artificial light is different than in an artificial bog outside. So, the queston should be: How long after the first initiation of root growth following dormancy does the first flower open? The answer now depends on the growing conditions. A plant stored in the refrigerator all winter and suddenly exposed to a constant warm brightly lit environment will develop more quickly than one that is growing in a slowly increasing temperature and daylength. Also, a developing flower bud can be delayed several days or weeks by cloudy and cool days. I think the true answer is: It all depends.

smile.gif

VFT's I had in dormancy from mid-November through mid-February and then put on a cool window sill and then outside, sent up flower stalks in April. On the other hand, my dormant / died back for the winter D. binata & filiformis began new leaves in mid-January and flowered in the summer.

You are right Bob, very weakly worded on my part, sorry all. Ideally I would love to get them out of the fridge and put them in a sunroom all to bloom together. My question should have been more like "If all circumstances are equal, which type will bloom first and so on." Red dragons might bloom 30 days after a normal flytrap etc... Mixing and matching pollen would be easier if I can have them bloom roughly the same time. Maybe it doesn't matter at all ? Pollen should last for some time in the fridge right ? Thanks for patience with a CP newbie.

Sorry about my misunderstanding of your question. From my experience, I can tell no difference in flowering time of any of the cultivars -- if the plants are about the same size and age. I grow all of my plants under the same conditions in an unheated greenhouse. Each year, the plants come out of dormancy and initiate flowering on a different date that depends on the weather in the spring. If the spring days are cool and cloudy flowering is several weeks later than if the spring days are warm and sunny.

In the wild, in North Carolina, they usually flower in May. As there is only one species of Dionaea muscipula, all the clones will flower at the same time, all things being equal. Of course, age, light, size and temperature all affect things.

That should cover it ! Thanks everybody.

Back