What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy why flower stalk?

It is the start of winter hear in Canada VFT's should be slowing down. They are in a south window. A couple of them are showing the start of a flower stalk. Is this normal? I was
going to wait until they show signs of going into dormancy,
then put them in the garage, temp set just above freezing.
Any advice?
Thanks Stephen

Do you have what you think is a tissue culture plant that is kinda confused? I would suggest snipping the stalk and allowing the plant to have reduced photoperiod / temps (dormancy) and let it flower in the spring.

I would think they are TC, they are not huge plants I would say 2or3 years old. I think they are dente ( short triangle like teeth ). They are getting sunlight only and sit close to the window. The temp may be a little to warm. I will try to post some picks. I do TC work and may use the cut flower stalk as explant material. Thanks jimscott

You do TC work? Is this with carnivorous plants? I find it fascinating that you work with TC because maybe you can shed some light on the dormancy issues, particularly when a person buys a plant after summer and before spring.

So is stalk in some way related to stem cell research? Do you do something with the genetic material?

In nature, a VFT is not only experiencing reduced photoperiod, but temps that are ~50 degrees colder than peak of the summer, along with less water and food supply. Maybe it's like going to bed but struggling to fall asleep.

GREAT!!! My VFT's outside are not sleepin' again! MORE FLOWERS!! I think these guys are severely overworked! Cold and rainy, they still have an incredible work ethic. Make Dem Babies!!!

Bugweed, your plants are total illiterates! They're not even mentioned in areas reaserved for margins or with op cits and ibids!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I have been growing orchids for about 4 years. I became interested in TC because to raise orchids from seed TC is the easiest way. I have been doing some multiplication ( cloning ) of certain varieties as well. After getting into carnivorous plants and finding out that a lot of plants are not offered in my country, I thought why not try to propagate via TC. The chemicals are the same just different proportions, and the lab equipment and procedures are the same. I am not trained or work in the industry; I get all my info off of the net or by talking to people.
My guess on the dormancy thing. Hormones are used in the TC process, cytokinin and auxins control deferent development stages. These may stay in the plant for some time affecting growth cycle timing. Again just a guess.
Stephen

Back