What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bugweed rocks!

Thanks to Bugweed, I have about 60 (yes 60) baby VFT's shedding their seeds. Whats really cool is that I gave them NO cold stratification, just spread them over wet peat and forgot about 'em. So far I see about three that could be Red dragons but I'm not sure yet. Thanks alot Bugweed!!

-Rail

VFTs don't need stratification as they fall to the ground in May and grow from then on.

Your plants sound like they're doing well!

That's a lot of babies to feed Copcarfc. Hope you got swarms of flies next year! How many seeds did you sow altogether?
smile.gif

About 150 total. I could have sworn I read somewhere that VFT seeds need a 3 month cold stratification before they will germinate. I'm realizing more and more of the seeds are poping open, wow.

-Rail

I think it's ceph seeds don't need 2-3 month cold stratification.

It does not matter much for Venus Flytraps in my experience, I've gotten the same germination rates with or without stratification.  But since I live in Michigan, the weather over here gets cold very early and my seeds this year that germinated did not get a chance to grow much and probably won't make it through dormacy (about 1,500+ seeds of various crosses between clones) .  So I am deffinitely waiting until spring time now to sow my seeds, so they will be stratified for a few months in the fridge.

Alright, I've been watching that pot like a hawk and its got to be well over 100 VFT's in there. I'm having problems finding seeds that havent germinated
smile.gif

-Rail

It's definately a great site to wake up in the morning and find out your seeds have hatched. I too made various crosses of Bigmouth X Green Dragon or Typical X Green Dragon and just scattered the seeds next their parents. So far I've gotten 15 germinated seeds that will be going dormant with the parent.

P.s. Peter, great news, plenty of my VFTs have sent out offshoots. You will be getting good VFTs next spring.

Wait until the rest of them wake up, CCFC! I gave you anywhere from 400 to a 1,000 seed!!! They all will germinate at their own personal rates, so there WILL be more.

Oh god, I better find a place to put 'em.

-Rail

Remember too, these plants were wild collected many, many years ago when a dollar bought a permit to collect any and all plants. They were mixed and crossed with red dragons, dente, typicals, and green dragons. Should get a heck of a lot of varying color forms. Spring should bring out a lot in your new babies.

Awsome, how long before I can remove the seedlings that germinated early? I'm sure it's gonna be a forest of VFT's soon, should I leave them packed together in that pot or remove them and spread 'em around to give 'em room to streach?

-Rail

Back