What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Temp question

The temperature around here during the day is about mid 60's and it gets to around 50's or a lil below during the night.

My flytraps dont look like they are going into dormancy in these conditions so do I just uproot them and stick them in the fridge in a tuperware? Or should I adjust them to the colder temps of the fridge? Finally the only fridge I can put em in keeps the temp at 57 is this cold enough? Its a coca-cola mini fridge.....put it in there or in the fridge with my food?

57 is still a bit too warm. Is there anything else that can get the temp down to ~40? In nature, they experince below freezing, just to give ya an idea of what they need and can handle. Mine are in a fridge, as is, in a mini-bog, with several temperate Drosera & American pitcher plants. Maybe a friend can acommodate them for the winter? Two years ago I kept mine, which were in their original pot, right in the butter keeper. It may not have impressed my family members, but the plants didn't complain.

I stick mine in the refrig for about 3 months. I wonder if I could buy premix wet soil for transplanting. I am 0-9 transplanting vfts now. Although I have one vft that is 3 going on 4 years but never transplanted it. Ok, enough...I agree with Jim too.

People keep VFTs outdoor year round in subtropical cities of Southern California San Diego, Fallbrook, and Ventura. Temps here don't go below 45-50 much in the winter and are ususually int the mid 60's to low 70's in the winter. I live a bit more inland but my highs are still in the high 60's and 70's while my lows are in the lower 40's to high 30's. When you mentioned 57-65 for a late autumn day, I thought that was more than the plant could ask for a dormancy temperature. As long as light levels are reducing and tempertures are cooling off you don't have to fridge your VFT. I once was all fussy about fridge dormancy but now I don't see the need, knowing my climate is perfectly suitable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Dec. 03 2005,11:36)]People keep VFTs outdoor year round in subtropical cities of Southern California San Diego, Fallbrook, and Ventura. Temps here don't go below 45-50 much in the winter and are ususually int the mid 60's to low 70's in the winter. I live a bit more inland but my highs are still in the high 60's and 70's while my lows are in the lower 40's to high 30's. When you mentioned 57-65 for a late autumn day, I thought that was more than the plant could ask for a dormancy temperature. As long as light levels are reducing and tempertures are cooling off you don't have to fridge your VFT. I once was all fussy about fridge dormancy but now I don't see the need, knowing my climate is perfectly suitable.
NICE!! Texas has weather like that right now
smile.gif
30's at night 50's-60's in the day. It's so cool that I dont have to worry about dormancy for any of my plants
smile.gif

-Rail

Back