What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sorry, another dormancy question

Ok everybody im sorry i have to post another question about dormancy i was looking at the past few posts and didnt see much on what i needed to know. im sure there are site but i dont have the time too look sfor some. sorry again.

alright guys i havent been online in a while. im not sure how to put these plants into dormancy. i have a few plants all in a sort of plastic box thing in peat moss. im not sure what to do its kinda like 9 inches of snow outside and m thinking my fridge downstairs but dont i need to spray it with antifungal stuff and do i need to water it while its in dormancy.

First, what species do you have? Not all sundews or butterworts (plants that you may buy at Lowes or Home Depot) go into dormancy.

-Ben

Venus Flytraps go into dormancy though. Just place them in 40-50 degrees and a reduced photoperiod, and that'll ensure that they enter dormancy.

Hey thanks a bunch guys. I put em in the fridge downstairs so it should all work out.

If it is real cold where you are, like N.Y., you could put them in a window in the coldest room in the house. Keep a curtain or something around them and they should become dormant.

will they die? cos my friends put it in his frigde but die....

Putting vfts in a fridge for dormancy is a tried and tested method that has been used for many years. So long as you don't put them away too wet so they contract fungal disease they should be ok.

If you use the fridge method, it's a good idea to check on your plants on a regular basis. That way you can catch problems before they get too serious. The two things I check for are the moisture level (not too wet or too dry) and the condition of the plant (Is there fungus starting on it, does the rhizome still look healthy?).

If your plants are frozen solid in the snow, put them straight in the fridge. Don't bring them straight into room temperature and leave them there as they tend to defrost very quickly, causing damage.

hmmm... okay i shall give it a try. and update you guys

Back