What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing Seeds

If I sow the seeds now and put them by a east facing window in a heated room will they still be good even though they will not get as many hours of sunlight? The temp also might not be as warm. I think it should be about what 70 right?

HOLD THE PHONE!!!! Don't do that! If you do, the darn things will grow, and you will have your hands full of VFT babies. Are you ready to be a papa????

LOL! Should I use the bag thing to keep the humidity high or just put the pot there and say "grow?"

I believe you need to Chant grow, not just say it.

Gawd, you only forgot one thing. The playing of, "We are the Champions." They go nuts for the song!

HAHAHAHA
smile_n_32.gif
but seriously gremination is an art not a way
smile_m_32.gif

Glider!!?? Haven't you ever heard of the Zen of VFT growing? It IS the Way!

I have them on a mix of peat perlite and sand by the east facing window. The temp is about 60F-70F. The Savage Garden book has keep humid. Should I put a clear plastic bag over the pot to keep the humidity up or just make sure the soil stays wet and leave them alone? I really don't want to mess these seeds up. I kinda screwed up the last batch I had. I think I'm kinda be worried with what I'm doing until I actually get some to work. If I had a place for them I would put them under grow lights but like I said if I had a place.

Not sure why The Savage Garden makes a deal about humidity - I never heard of VFT seeds needing any more humidity than other species. Perhaps it means that you should not leave the starts in an arid location where the soil will quickly dry out.
While we're on the topic of VFT seedlings, what's better - indoors or outdoors for the first season?
Thanks guys,
~Joe

So I'm guessing just leave them alone to grow. Keep wet, no bag.

Absolutely correct, JM. Leave them alone, and keep them wet. The heck with the bag.

Using a bag will encourage damping off, so avoid it.

Is the first sign of germination a white tip on the pointier end of the seed?

Sounds like a birth to me. Keep us informed.

Gawd what are your conditions and how long has it taken?

On a very wet mix of peat/perlite/vermiculite. Ocasionally I take the water level up to the surface, sometimes alittle over. 2 weeks at about 70. ? amount of days (1-5) @ 85, was out of town and returned to find my heater freaked out. Now 1 week at 75-78, still get get my houses heat any lower then that... My thermostat is set at 45....

Humidity is 40-45%

And they are under 160 watts of various light temp ranges.

So about 1 month to get that far.

Wow. I just have mine in a window at about 65F. You have a heater and all this light on them. Hopefully the grow with the natural light they get from the windowstill. But I have them in peat/perlite and a little sand. I sowed them on the 30th so it's been over a year and I have nothing.:D

Well the heater I was refering to was my house heater. And I ran out of window space.

Usually, the bag will make 'em rot. (Though, I've never tried VFT seeds, I was just going by Drosera seeds.)

-Ben

For the love of god don't forget fungicide. Get it, use it, get less rotted seeds.

-Rail

Back