What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proof that 82 watts is good for a VFT

Here are some pics of a VFT I picked up a few weeks ago from a local garden center. The poor things were in those little plastic domes inside a warm, humid greenhouse. Though, I assumed they were a new shipment since they looked ok, with red traps, yet some of their new leaves were much smaller, and a bit were rather brown. Anyways, I assumed since they were in full growth, that I'd take one with me to home, and then grow it in my terrarium, at 80* F, 82 watts of light. It quickly grew some new, nice-sized one-inch traps, with a light pink/red inside. In the summer, I'll prolly take it with me to Santa Barbara when we are in vacation, and in July/ August, put it into a nice, long, dormancy. I know, most people despise it when other people grow VFT's in terrariums, but mine seems to like it. It's even sending up a flower stalk.

Here are the pics of its newest traps:

vft3.jpg

vft4.jpg

And here is one trap that the plant was growing when I bought it, and it is the smallest that my plant has.

Here's a pic of it when it just opened:

vft1.jpg

And after a few days:

vft5.jpg

And finally, the whole plant:

vftplant.jpg

All of the long, brown/black leaves are old ones. The leaves on the surface of the soil, and the newest ones still unfolding, started growing in my terrarium. So far, I've only fed it two sow bugs.

-Ben

smile.gif
Wow Drosera36, fantastic close up shots of the traps.. Very nice looking VFT ya got, i keep all my VFT's inside a tank/terraium although there not planted in it i just keep them in there pots set down in the tank with the lights above um and since i got mine few months back they have grown like crazy, mine came from crappy Walmart and at the time were tiny. I just noticed on a few of the plants that they have 2 or so leafs that are yellowing/browning on the edges.
Can anyone tell me whats thats caused from?? Is it just the old leafs dying back or are the plants signaling its time for sleep??
smile_l_32.gif

Thanks for sharring with us Drosera36, you take awsome pics..
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

Very nice VFT Ben. These plants can definitely do well in terrariums. I know that when my VFTs were going strong (they're in the fridge sleeping right now) they loved it in my terrarium that's lit by 103 watts of light. All of them colored up VERY nicely. You'd think they were grown outside!

Let's start the "Grow VFTs in terrariums!" revolution
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 09 2006,9:32)]
Let's start the "Grow VFTs in terrariums!" revolution
biggrin.gif
Lol, that would be awesome. The GVFTT Organization.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Say, when exactly should I put this little guy in dormancy, anway? Since I got this guy from a nursery who got it from a nursery at this time of year, there's no telling that this plant ever GOT dormancy. And should I cut off its flower stalk?

-Ben

To be safe, I'd cut off the flower stalk (this time at least). Like you said, you don't know if your plant has experienced a dormancy this year. Chances are it hasn't and producing a flower stalk might send the little guy into shock.

Skip dormancy this year, put it into dormancy next year around Halloween.

Alright, I'll snip it off before it gets too tall.

Ya do mean to put it into dormancy in 2006, right? Not 2007?

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 09 2006,9:32)]Let's start the "Grow VFTs in terrariums!" revolution
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
Hey i wana join that club to.. LOL!!!

We're accepting members right now, so get your application in!

The new traps are coming up real healthy. Your could even see red on the traps cilia/outer arched rib. I've definatly seen good colorful VFTs under growlights. And I've definately seen good colorful VFTs grown with natural light.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 09 2006,10:19)]We're accepting members right now, so get your application in!
In fact, I think I'll start something like this on my website. Mitch, since you have a website as well, you could do something too. Maybe like just a fun club thing where nothing is absolutely serious or anything, just sharing how people grow their VFTs in inclosed systems.

-Ben

That's a great idea Ben. As I get my website finished up (which will be in the next thousand years
smile_n_32.gif
) I'll add a small section that will be dedicated to growing VFTs indoors. Maybe we can make a logo for both of our sites, like a little smiling VFT in a tank
biggrin.gif

Yeah, that would be awesome. How do ya make banners, anywho?

-Ben

I have no clue, hahaha! You're talking to a man who uses Yahoo Geocities Pagebuilder tool to construct his website
smile_n_32.gif

Lol. Time to get out the textbooks. Er, maybe just Google it.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.bamaud.com/cps/the gvftt society.swf">
<PARAM NAME=quality VALUE="high">
<PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF>
<EMBED src="http://www.bamaud.com/cps/the gvftt society.swf" quality="high" bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="288" HEIGHT="75"
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

As you can see above, I've made a banner for the GVFTT Society, or the Growing Venus' Flytraps in Terrariums Society. Click the banner, and it takes you to the GVFTT home page. What do ya guys think? Eventually, I'm gonna make some membership forms for it, and there will be no member charge fee. Pretty much all ya have to do to qualify is to grow VFTs in terrariums. If ya grow 'em outside or in greenhouses or on windowsills, I'm afraid you can't join.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

smile_n_32.gif
Thats to cool Drosera36, ya need a pic of VFT's in a terrarium only for main page pic..
smile_m_32.gif
My VFTs are like "Mom do not move me from my comfort of the terrarium" LOL!!
smilie4.gif

Lol, thanks for the compliments, guys! I guess you guys are official members/founders of this thing, and it would be helpful if anyone else suggested some ideas for the Society page.

-Ben

How do your plants cope with a dormancy in terrariums?

Back