What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

overwintering

hey guys, i know ur supposed to overwinter ur vft in the fridge or something like that if its to cold outside for them. well, i was expecting it to go into dormancy itself, but it never did, even when the first snow fell. so i brought inside to an unheated garage and its the been there since fall last year, its still growing leaves( dispite some dyeing off) and it seems happy as a clam in there. Problem is, im worryied if it doesnt go into dormancy it will be stressed and die come spring. any ideas?

It would be very unusual for it to skip dormancy without extra heat or light. Vfts do produce a rosette of leaves when they enter dormancy. The leaves and traps are smaller than in the summer and the rosette remains and looks quite healthy for the duration of the dormant period. They don't as many people seem to believe, die back to the roots leaving an empty looking pot. Are you sure it is actively continueing to produce leaves through the winter? if so how often are new leaves being produced?

well, im not exactly sure how much, if at all, i might have to keep an eye on it. presumeing that these leaves i am seeing are the rosette, then what do i have to do? can i leave it where it is?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so i brought inside to an unheated garage and its the been there since fall last year

It'll be dormant then. No need to worry
smile.gif

If the leaves you are seeing are just the dormant winter rosette I would just leave it where it is until around mid March. Then I would put it into some stronger light so that it can adjust to the longer hours of daylight and as soon as it starts showing signs of fresh new growth increase the watering again and treat it just as you would in the summer months. It will wake up when it is ready.

I don't know how cold it gets where you are but mine live all year in an unheated greenhouse. In the coldest weather the pots freeze and temps go down as low as -8 to -10C or 14F The vfts survive the cold with no problem.

well, that was easier then i thought it was going to be! mid march? ok, sounds good! thanks!

Back