What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you protect your plants?

Last year I had my VFT outside where it is the best place to grow. I woke up and went outside and found that some terrorist tore it out of the pot and killed it. I think it was some darn little chimpmonk. I hape that it will be back this year so I can catch it and feed it to me snake. Anyways how do you protect your plants from the terrorist lurking in your yard? I was thinking putting some mouse traps around mine or trying to put some chicken fence or something.

Chipmunks are cute little things. They're so acrobatic, I think they are lovely. If I had them coming into my garden I just wouldn't leave my plants out in the open where they can damage them. Use the chicken wire to keep them away, it would be a shame to kill them.

Well, your in milwaukee, so you can't shoot the little SOB, well ya could with a BB gun.

I vote for something with more of a shock and awe value.
If you are going to go with chicken wire atleast add some voltage to it, and fry the little thing.

Sure they are cute until they chew a 3" hole into your house, and fill your car's air filter with food every couple days...

Fry the varmin.

Squirrels and Chipmunks=incredible destruction.

bio2.jpg

Hehe....

-Ben

Obviously no one remembers the historic "Squirrel flame wars" on the list serve

Maybe you can buy a cage or a small greenhouse?

The road out front took care of the 2 critters a couple of years ago. None have returned so far. I still don't plant outside yet because we have moles all over the yard. I can't seem to get rid of them but they really only dig up the plant roots. Maybe they only eat grubs ? Anyone else have issues with moles ?

We never get any chipmunks or squirrels in our area. An occasional mouse is all, but they don't do any damage, do they?

Mice can be worse. They can destroy pitchers gnawing through them to get to the insects inside not to mention the seed pods trying to get the seeds. They may also swipe the sphagnum for lining their nest.

How about cloning a VFT that is mouse eating size. It can be genetically altered to smell like cheese! (Oh, SURE!)

Good thing I don't have any pitcher plants. =) They haven't touched the VFTs though.

Bugweed... that'd be pretty interesting, waking up one day to a squeaking flytrap.

Back