What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A total newbie question! :D

I'm entirely new to growing and caring for these little buggers, so I've got some potentially idiotic questions. I thank you in advance for tolerating!!!

I'm hittin' the ground running, I've got a 3 year old plant on the way, and I'm growing my own. I've got this little seedling... And it totally doesn't look like I expected. It's got a white-ish stem shooting straight up from the middle, it's just short of an inch high. The stem has about two dozen white stems branching out from it. I can't find a whole lot on caring for little tiny VFT, so I'm unsure if this should be left or removed.

In fact, ANY and ALL insight you have with tips for seedlings would be wonderful of you. I've researched my butt off and I know plenty about mature flytraps, but.. next to nothing about immature traps.

Hi and welcome to TerraForums! Is it possible for you to post a picture? Last year I bought a Lowes 3 in 1 cube that appeared to have one plant in it. So I asked for and received a discount, because it seemed as though the other two plants had died. I went to repot the Cobra Lily that was obviously alive and then discovered that I in fact DID have all 3 plants - a D. adelae and a VFT. Both of then somehow were buried under the soil media and they were - White! So what you're describing, maybe a severe lack of light. Not sure.

Here is the picture of the Cobra Lily:

th_AF003601.jpg

And here is that same D. adelae, in much better health!

th_AF001001.jpg

2 dozen whitish stems from a single CP that is one inch tall doesn't sound like a VFT, though. Where did you receive this plant? Was it from Home Depot or Lowes or an online store? Did it come with a scientific name?

Does it look more like this?

AF002401.jpg

My best guess is that it needs more light. Where is it placed?

I cannot, to my severe disappointment, upload a picture. As of last week my computer has begun to refuse my camera. (Along with my iPod!) -Stupid piece of junk most definitely needs to be replaced.

It came from an online store, it wasn't actually the intent of my purchase but it came with it so I figured "Why not?"

And for some ridiculous reason I never even considered that it would have been mis-labeled. That seems like the likely culprit. It... really doesn't resemble any of the above, but it is SO small and SO new that I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to determine what it is for a while yet. I'm guessing it's only a few weeks old... It's quite tiny. Had I been a tad more experienced in the way of CP I could probably place it (or if my stupid computer would read my camera! Gr!)- But it looks like this is going to be a completely blind experiment on my behalf!

Thank you for introducing the idea of mid-naming. I can't believe that never even remotely crossed my mind. Close minded, much? Haha. Thank you, though!

That last plant is amazing! What might it be?

While I have never purchased a plant online, I have read that plants can be mislabeled [particularly from our generous forum-folk (shhhh...)] It is also possible that the online person tossed in an extra and also possible to receive seeds accidently, that germinate for you later on. That has been my experience.

I'm no technological expert by any means (having been almsot totally taught by our forum teens), but if it is possible to Email me the picture, I could upload it to my account and bring it to the forum. My guess is that you are stuck at one step before all that?

I'm hoping to hone down what you have by posting pics of differing shapes. That last pic is called D. aliciae and it looks similar enough to a much more common plant, called D. spatulata.

Any seedling just over under an inch would definately NOT be a VFT. To your dissapointment it might not even be a carnivorous plant (CP). You'd know a VFT seedling as it looks like momma only MUUUUUUUUUCH smaller.
How old is the UFP in question. UFP=(Unidentifiedibilis flora possibilitus)

The part about white stem is throwing me off, but is it maybe a flower stalk or would it look like any of the pictures from Ron Lane's collection, as pictured in this topic? (especially page 3)

Petiolaris Pics

Or maybe like these?

AF002801.jpg

AR000102.jpg

Back