What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering methods?

• Thread starter jsgossamer
  • Start date
To emphasise and restate what Phil is saying is that we, as hobbyists, do what we can to mimic nature and cultivate these plants. At best, however, we provide an artificial environment that tends to lack some intangibles - such as water movement through the substrate. Another example is that we have to manually remove dead foliage. Nature takes care of that in other ways. We deal with mold. Nature doesn't seem to. We control a lot of the variables, but not all of them. This is very similar to the hobby of tropical fish. We provide pumps, heaters, filters, flake food, artificial lighting,...., as well as an environment that is far smaller that what they would have in nature. We deal with ich and bacterial infections, In nature, it far less common. We need to be cognizant of the limitations of what we provide for our living hobbies and their limitations.

Scott: The best pizza, Chinese food, bagels, bialys, and knishes come from LI (and NYC)! Think of LI as Irondequoit, Pittsford, Fairport, Gates-Chili... as being one right after another. Hey, when are ya coming to East Aurora? Maybe we can meet up at the Roycroft?

Excellent!!!

This really changed perspective on the way I take care of my plants.

Earlier this week I spotted one of my trays with a dry base, and freaked out and immediately poured water into it.

I'm going to cool it with the water and let the tray dry out between waterings.

Hope my plants didn't incur any rot.

Back