What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This may seem like a dumb question, but....

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Okay, we all know about stratification and what to do when we receive VFT or Sarracenia seeds. But what is happening in our Southeast? The mature plants wake up from dormancy and in the spring they produce flowers. From the flowers the seeds follow. If we are taught to spend ~3 months for seed stratification, what do the seeds do in nature? Do they germinate in the warm weather or do they hang out until the following spring? Botton line - How do seeds get cold stratification in nature?

VFT seeds don't need stratifying  
smile.gif

They fall to the gorund in May and get going straight away.

Sarracenia seeds fall to the ground in October and germinate the following spring.

Thanks Alexis. That clears up that confusion on my part!
smile.gif

I have observed that many fresh VFT seeds will germinate within a few weeks, but seeds also to continue to germinate for many months. I suspect that this is a good species survival strategy. If all seeds germinated immediately, then if poor conditions follow most would die. If some seeds germinate later then perhaps some seedlings from a seed crop would be successful. It would be interesting to determine if delayed germination is genetic. That is, if only the latest germinating seedlings were kept and repeatedly bred, would the proportion of late-germinating seeds increase?

That's and interesting theory proposal! It may be a case that the ratio may not appreciably change - sorta like on the lines of bees having a queen in the wings, if necessary or how some fish change gender, if necessary. Don't know, just a thought.

I allways try to imitate natural conditions! Frogs can change sexes to!

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 07 2006,7:02)]I allways try to imitate natural conditions! Frogs can change sexes to!

Cheers
People who go to Trinidad, Colorado can change sex too!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

hmmm i dont know how that makes me feel... kind of disgusted honestly!

Cheers
smile_h_32.gif

Well, try to get over it.

i am *sigh* lol (for got to post a little bit of sarcasim in that)
Cheers

Back