What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the difference in light?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
What is the big difference with light between outside and inside by a bright window? They both are getting bright light so what's the difference?

BIG difference!
just having that piece of glass cuts the light by a lot.
because the sunlight is hitting the glass at an angle, a lot of it reflects away rather than going through the glass.
and the further from the window, the less light..

and..the plant outside gets ambient light from the sky..not just the sun itself.
the plant indoors gets ambient light from..the room!
MUCH darker..

I dont know the exact percentages, but a pot sitting one foot away from a window indoors probably gets half the light that the same pot would get sitting one foot away from the window on the outside..

a camera photometer would give a good reading..
I will try an experiment and report back!

Scot

Wow that is interesting. What if the window was open then it wouldn't block any of the rays with the glass. It would at least be better then having the glass in the way if you must have your plants inside right?

Plants still seem to do very well and colour up under glass though!

A window will only have light hitting from one side, compared with a greenhouse which would be clear from all sides. A lot of CPs will still be happy growing on a windowsill though.

i grow my vft about 6in away from a very bright window

Another thing to consider is that modern windows often have special coatings to further reduce certain wavelengths of light from passing through.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 08 2006,8:13)]Another thing to consider is that modern windows often have special coatings to further reduce certain wavelengths of light from passing through.
That was what LauraZ5 was trying to get across to me as to why my (actually, yours) Mexican pings wouldn't flower for me.

red light makes plants bloom right?, hey what if one uses a PAR light, i hear that radyatyon that makes photosintesis is the greates light for plants.

Interesting.

My mummy told me our new window had a special coating/filtering layer that prevented certain wavelengths of sunlight in order to prevent our wooden floor from tanning and discolouring.

I keep walmart plants behind this window for a week, then move it outside to bright indirect light.

I can't say I know what windows the lab was using when I had my plants there, but I can tell you this: I have had 12 varieties of pigmy sundews, 1 Genlisia, B. liniflora, P. primuliflora, 8 non-pigmy sundews, and 8 terrestrial Utrics flower for me there. Even a sandersonii blue sent up two token stalks (never saw the flowers though). But absolutely NO Mexican butterworts would flower, except a Sethos which did so soon after arrival. In other words, it was already on its way. Do Mexican butterworts operate on a different bandwidth?
confused.gif

Yes, the operate at about AM 1420, the local Mexican music station LOL
smile_n_32.gif

Mexi-Pings are a strange group I find that too little light and they won't flower but at the same time too much light and they won't flower either. I know that sounds odd but I have plants grown outdoors in full sun during the summer that will not bloom but their clonal siblings are blooming like made in the sunroom which has slightly less light. I also believe that temperature and humidity play an important role in Mexi-Ping blooming. Unfortunatly you'll just have to take my hear-say on that since I don't have any real "data" to prove it.

Back