What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a venus flytrap eat a small SLUG?

I have a venus flytrap I bought from a home improvement store recently and I'm proud to say it's doing fine, BUT can a venus flytrap eat a tiny slug? (Small enough to fit comfortably in the trap)

Or a very small worm? (I know insects have to be 1/3 the size of the trap, roughly)

I know venus flytraps like softshelled, juicy bugs, are those two harmful?

Hi Jeannie and welcome to the discussion forum! Flies and spiders are great for VFT's, but from previous discussions, slugs and the like don't go over well. They tend to rot and blacken the trap. It doesn't kill the plant, but it's like having indigestion. Is your plant outside? They do best when kept outside and are very efficient in catching what comes there way. I have often seen mine with the legs of spiders sticking out of their traps!

Yea I tried a earthworm and the whole trap turned black. When I put it outside it cought a daddy long legs.

Back