What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi i'm new

• Thread starter Vixen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]GrammarPolice
Looks like someone who signed up with a new username just to give vixen a hard time.

Very bad taste to launch a tirade at someone who is evidently doing their best to get their point across. GrammerPolice will get no more warnings. That really sucked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vixen @ Mar. 14 2006,10:02)]I'm 24 yr's old, and I am dyslexic.

Your post has offended me as shorely this forum is about plant's and not grammer.

If your offended by my spelling iver don't read it, or even still maybe this is not the forum for me.
Please don't go. We went through this once before, with another forum member that has dyslexia. We have all manner of people here. Aside from two with dyslxia, we have two with Aperegers Syndrome and we have those with ADHD, panic disorders,.... This forum is like a community and a family. It is also public. No one should ever have to be publicly humiliated. If anybody has a beef against someone, it absolutely needs to be done privately. That is part of what the PM's are designed to do. Playful teasing, which myself and the above two moderators like to do is one thing, but publicly humiliating another member is totally inappropriate.

Vixen, please continue to participate and ask questions about your plants. Enjoy this highly educational and fun discussion forum!

These guys are right on the money, lots of different people make this place interesting and helpful for everyone. Grammar police try to be offensive on the CPUK and see what happens ! Talk about diversity ! I think the attempt at humor was in poor taste and should be publicly apologized for.

We don't have a Vixen around here so with a name like that you've gotta stay ! Not to say in any way that there aren't plenty of "unnamed" vixens though ! I'm gonna stop before I get more in trouble......

Oh ya, and welcome to the forum !

actually, I agree with "grammar police"
unless someone's native language is not english, or they have a legitimate reason for having writing issues (like dyslexia) then we *should* give people a hard time for being lazy in their spelling and grammar..
American teenagers are the worst.

its not mean..its actually doing them a favor to point it out.
we are far too worried about "not offending" these days..
when we *should* point out when people need to improve things..
its a *good* thing!

yes, perhaps we can cut Vixen some slack now that we know about the Dyslexia, but in general, its good to admonish people for horrible spelling and grammar, if they have no real excuse for it.

keep it up Grammar Police...im on your side.

and Vixen,
grow a backbone..dont be such a wuss..
this is the internet! you have to *expect* to be offended eventually! ;)
you cant go through life with an attitude of "oh boo hoo, im so offended, someone was mean to me, im going to pout and leave the forum"..that will get you nowhere.
gotta be tough! this is the real world.
our society is far too worried about "offending"..and people get offended far too easily.

Grammer Police was totally justified in pointing out your bad English, at first..now that we know you have a legitimate issue, we can all let it go and give you a pass...but we didnt know that before hand.

just blow it off and enjoy the forum!
smile_n_32.gif

its not the end of the world..
if you leave, you will only hurt yourself..no one else.
its not worth it to get upset and offended.

If someone wants to yell at me now for being mean, I wont be offended! ;)

Scot

anyway back on topic.

some pics,

IM001587.jpg

IM001588.jpg

and my new Piyture (spelling??) plant

IM001589.jpg

sorry the pics are terrible I took them quickly. I going to get some millworms now, I hope there ok to feed, but my boyfriend does'nt want crickets in the house, and flys are shore suply in Britan at the mo.

After browsing this thread, I'm on Vixen's side. Since Scottchaos is such a fan of Grammer Police (sic) maybe he/she would take the time to dissect his/her posting.
"<span style='color:red'>I hereby salute you a warm welcome to the forums</span>" Salute you a warm welcome?
"<span style='color:red'>! whew!</span>" Capital W, please.
"<span style='color:red'>The forumers here</span>" After an exhaustive search of Chambers failed to come up with the word forumer I asume you to be unable to have enough education to construct a sentence.
Given your use of split infinitives, I also assume you to not be adult enough to remember when such grammatical style was considered poor. It still is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hotspur @ Mar. 15 2006,3:42)]After browsing this thread, I'm on Vixen's side. Since Scottchaos is such a fan of Grammer Police (sic) maybe he/she would take the time to dissect his/her posting.
"<span style='color:red'>I hereby salute you a warm welcome to the forums</span>" Salute you a warm welcome?
"<span style='color:red'>The forumers here</span>" After an exhaustive search of Chambers failed to come up with the word forumer I asume you to be unable to have enough education to construct a sentence.
Given your use of split infinitives, I also assume you to not be adult enough to remember when such grammatical style was considered poor. It still is.

none of those "mistakes" are mine..
I didn't write those.
if you are going to criticize me, at least use my own words and not someone elses!
smile_n_32.gif

and that is so lame and predictable..
"lets find some mistakes the grammar police made"!
so unoriginal and boring..
please..2nd graders might think that is clever..no one else does.

and "Hotspur"..
(and "Grammar Police" as well)
Be a man and use your real name.
since this was your "first post", its obvious you just made up a new forum name so no one would know who you are..
hiding beind an alias..
what a wuss..

Scot

Vixen, nice plants! Thank you for sharing with us. My only concern is that a store bought VFT's that flower soon thereafter, are potentially set up to drain the plant of its energy - and thus die shortly thereafter. You may want to strongly consider cutting the flower stalk and have the plant, as well as the Sarras be outside. Plants that go through a dormancy period need lots of direct sunshine and a good few months of rest, in order to do well and flower the following year. I bought a VFT and put it in a terrarium. It flowered and promptly died. Food for thought.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Mar. 15 2006,9:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hotspur @ Mar. 15 2006,3:42)]After browsing this thread, I'm on Vixen's side. Since Scottchaos is such a fan of Grammer Police (sic) maybe he/she would take the time to dissect his/her posting.

I didn't write those.
if you are going to criticize me, at least use my own words and not someone elses!
smile_n_32.gif

and "Hotspur"..
since this was your "first post", its obvious you just made up a new forum name so no one would know who you are..
hiding beind an alias..
what a wuss..

Scot
The trouble with you know-it-all Americans is that assume too much. Why do you think I'm quoting you? Can't you read? Do you really want your grammar and spelling criticised? I think not.
smile_m_32.gif

Let's bury the flamewars and ethnic slurs! Let's go back to discussing plants and keep private matters..... private.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hotspur @ Mar. 15 2006,10:04)]The trouble with you know-it-all Americans is that assume too much.
Thanks for reminding me why I'm proud to be an American. Before the rant becomes "where are the WMD's", someone lock the thread. Isn't this "Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 15 2006,3:01)]Vixen, nice plants! Thank you for sharing with us. My only concern is that a store bought VFT's that flower soon thereafter, are potentially set up to drain the plant of its energy - and thus die shortly thereafter. You may want to strongly consider cutting the flower stalk and have the plant, as well as the Sarras be outside. Plants that go through a dormancy period need lots of direct sunshine and a good few months of rest, in order to do well and flower the following year. I bought a VFT and put it in a terrarium. It flowered and promptly died. Food for thought.
Thanks I was wondering what I should do about the flower stalk, as I read about them dieing staight after flowering, should I cut it now???

I going try and see if I can get it outside, are garden does'nt get much sunlight. Will see what I can do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hotspur @ Mar. 15 2006,3:04)]
[b said:
[b said:

I didn't write those.
smile_n_32.gif

and "Hotspur"..
hiding beind an alias..
what a wuss..

Scot
The trouble with you know-it-all Americans is that assume too much. Why do you think I'm quoting you? Can't you read? Do you really want your grammar and spelling criticised? I think not.
smile_m_32.gif
This is my thread, about my plant, please don't turn it into something else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hotspur @ Mar. 15 2006,4:04)]
[b said:
[b said:

I didn't write those.
smile_n_32.gif

and "Hotspur"..
hiding beind an alias..
what a wuss..

Scot
smile_m_32.gif

Why do I think you are quoting me??
hmmmm..perhaps because you said:

Since Scottchaos is such a fan of Grammer Police (sic) maybe he/she would take the time to dissect his/her posting.
"<span style='color:red'>The forumers here</span>"

smile_l_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif

Perhaps English isnt your native language??
I dont know why you dont understand your own words.

normally when someone says "maybe he/she would take the time to dissect his/her posting. " and you use an actual name of the person who should be doing that dissecting, in this case, my name, that pretty much means you are quoting that person directly..there really isnt any room for misunderstanding there.
you were very clear about who were quoting.
thats why I thought you were quoting me..because you SAID you were!

smile_l_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

(ok..im done! I wont say another word about it.)

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vixen @ Mar. 15 2006,12:00)]Thanks I was wondering what I should do about the flower stalk, as I read about them dieing staight after flowering, should I cut it now???

I going try and see if I can get it outside, are garden does'nt get much sunlight. Will see what I can do.
I know it's hard to snip a flower off one's first VFT, but it's like putting off short run and short lived fun, for the real deal when it has a legitimate opportunity to do well.

You gotta check Barry Rice's CP FAQ. He has a delightful, sarcastic sense of humour and he comes right out and says, "Now that you've seen it - cut it off!"

Here's the link:

FAQ

But don't read the section about feeding dead skin tissue to the VFT, as an experiment. Talk about grossout factor...

Dudes, take the feud to the PM's! It doesn't belong here!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vixen @ Mar. 15 2006,6:05)]This is my thread, about my plant, please don't turn it into something else.

Vixen,
you are right...this thread has pretty much been ruined.
If I were you, I would simply abandon this thread and just start a new one..
then hopefully the new thread will remain troll-free.

Scot

Vixen does not have to abandon this thread.  The only ones who should are those who fail to stay on topic.  You all have made your point.  

Nice job with the plants Vixen, and thanks for sharing the pics!
smile.gif

Back