What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi i'm new

• Thread starter Vixen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I just balt my VFT today. It's only little, not shore when and how to feed it as it living in doors. I can get millworms for it.

I fed through the pin topics, but any tips would be great.

I life in the UK.
smile.gif

You really should try to grow it outside. They don't do to well indoors because they need a dorment period which is brought on by decreasing hours of light and temperature. If they are outside they can catch their own food. Don't feed it any kinds of meat like hamburger.

I acherly have no where to put it outside.

I have read that some people have grown them indoors??

I guess you could grow under grow plant lights but you would need a timer to make sure they get the right about of hours of light everyday. Someone could tell you how much I think it's 12-14 hours. But you need very strong light. Next you would have to decrease the hours as it gets later in the year and then you would have to decrease the temps to around 35-40(maybe a little higher, someone else could tell you the exact range) degrees for about 3 months.

I grow my VFT under only 82 watts of light, and they do just fine. In winter, temps around 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit should be good.

vft17web.jpg

-Ben

I can do that.

I a god lerner like to know what I'm doing, reconmendations on good light sorce's ect..

Whatever light you get, make sure it is at least 70 watts. Also make sure the light is no more than 1' away from the plant. And make sure it is NOT a regular light bulb, they put out to much heat. Get a fluorescent fixture.

Hi vixen and welcome to TerraFoums! VFT's do best when kept outside. They love the sunlight, moist soil, and exposure to the air. No need to go out of your way to feed them. They are good at catching flies and spiders and bees. I keep mine in a minibog, which is nothing more than a bucket of peat, sand, and long fibred sphagnum moss, which may be purchased at ant DYI store. I give them rain water or distilled water.

Welcome to the forums! If you have a south facing window, that will work well also.

I acherly unable to have it outside.:(

when should I feed it

There was some rule of thumb about 1 critter per trap. I think it's in Barry Rice's FAQ treatise.

Couple things to keep in mind about the traps on VFTs. First they are only able to close a few times before the trap quits trapping. Second, the plants produce nutrients by photosynthesis like any other plant, the bugs just supply a bit of the nitrogen and other minerals that are lacking in their soil. Bugs have been likend to fertilizer pills
smile_n_32.gif
for your VFT. It comes down to the more you feed your plant the sooner the traps quit working and begin to die. On the other hand, why have a VFT if your not going to drop in the occasional bug to watch the traps close?

A tip for feeding it flies. Catch the fly in a jar and stick the covered jar in the freezer for a couple minutes. Just long enough that the fly begins to quit moving. Drop the fly in the VFT trap and as it warms back up and starts moving it trips the trap. VFT traps need the movement of bugs inside the trap after they close or they open back up in a day. Thats why dead bugs don't work as well.

Welcome to the forum !

BCK's advice is spot on! Hear ye him!
smile.gif

Dear Vixen:

I hereby salute you a warm welcome to the forums.

But first, some questions:

What grade are you in?

I know you are from England, but is English your native language?

Do you write like this in school?

Here are the spelling blunders alone. I call it pure "rubbish". Blimey rubbish, in fact! Sodding rubbish! J K Rowling would be mortified!

It must take TREMENDOUS effort to spell like this! whew! Tiring, isn't it?

balt = bought ?
shore = sure ?
life = live ?
acherly= ACTUALLY? (this one gets me the most)
god = good (this one actually makes religious sense)
lerner = learner ?
reconmendation= recommendation ?
sorce = source ?

Thanks for joining the forum but please for many of our eyes' and ears' sakes, apply the rules of grammar and language usage your teacher gives you. The forumers here will better be able to assist you on your problems.

Good luck on your plants! Godspeed!!

Your fellow Briton,
GrammarPolice

Welcome to the forums GrammarPolice.
smile_m_32.gif

GrammarPolice? Tres interessant!

LOL, I've been waiting for someone to comment about vixen's creative spelling.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GrammarPolice @ Mar. 14 2006,8:15)]Dear Vixen:

I hereby salute you a warm welcome to the forums.

But first, some questions:

What grade are you in?

I know you are from England, but is English your native language?

Do you write like this in school?

Here are the spelling blunders alone. I call it pure "rubbish". Blimey rubbish, in fact! Sodding rubbish! J K Rowling would be mortified!

It must take TREMENDOUS effort to spell like this! whew! Tiring, isn't it?

balt = bought ?
shore = sure ?
life = live ?
acherly= ACTUALLY? (this one gets me the most)
god = good (this one actually makes religious sense)
lerner = learner ?
reconmendation= recommendation ?
sorce = source ?

Thanks for joining the forum but please for many of our eyes' and ears' sakes, apply the rules of grammar and language usage your teacher gives you. The forumers here will better be able to assist you on your problems.

Good luck on your plants! Godspeed!!

Your fellow Briton,
GrammarPolice
I'm 24 yr's old, and I am dyslexic.

Your post has offended me as shorely this forum is about plant's and not grammer.

If your offended by my spelling iver don't read it, or even still maybe this is not the forum for me.

As a moderator of this forum, let me say that you do belong here Vixen.  This is a forum mostly about plants; it is not about grammar and it is not about spelling.  In my book, good manners, which includes being kind, are far more important than the urge to publicly correct someone without knowing the facts.  One of the principle rules of this forum is to 'Be Nice'.  You are both welcome to stay as contributing members of this forum, but I urge you, GrammarPolice, to be helpful and not hurtful.  

Respectfully,
JBL (aka GoodMannersPolice)
smile_m_32.gif

Back