What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT rotting or infection?

Hey everyone, I had a quick question to ask.  Every year during the end of dormacy or in the spring a few perfectly healthy vft's out of my collection randomly gets mushy and turn a yellowish color on the outside of the bulb and slowly infects the entire plant.  Its a 50/50 chance that the plant dies after I treat it with fungicide and remove the infected parts.
Is this because of a infection or just one of those mysteries that just happen for no reason like to some sarracenia's or ceph's that randomly rot?

Peter, I use a systemic fungicide before growth, after flowering, and near time for dormancy. Haven't lost a plant for years. Use Cleary's 3336WP for your CP's. I use it on ALL of mine, and it has helped loads!!

How are you doing dormancy? I can't remember if you were pro or anti-fridge.

I left mine outside. Here in Jacksonville, we barely had a winter. They are all awake and growing short fat spring leaves. They are all ready flowering. Is that normal? I also have a couple of deformed traps. I am glad to say that all of them are coming back strong, except for the two wierd traps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lord Humungus @ Mar. 14 2006,9:28)]I left mine outside. Here in Jacksonville, we barely had a winter. They are all awake and growing short fat spring leaves. They are all ready flowering. Is that normal? I also have a couple of deformed traps. I am glad to say that all of them are coming back strong, except for the two wierd traps.
They're supposed to emerge from dormancy and reward us with flowers. So that's normal.

I thought I had a good thing going with my buckets of minbogs, that containe several species of temperate sundews, several Sarrs, and a cobra lily, and 2 VFT's. When fall hit, I moved them to the coolish attic, right at a south-facing window sill, as is. They are still there, because I livein western NY and it's still winter.

A few weeks ago, with increasing the sundews began emerging from dormancy. Right now the cobra lily and Sarrs seem to be doing so as well. I think my VFT's just plain croaked. I have none left. Don't know what happened there. But I am experiencing zero mold, with no use of fungicides, being exposed to the air and kept slightly moist.

It's not that big of a deal, it just seems like one or two healthy plants always die coming out of dormacy for no reason, guess I'll try the fungicide method more often than. But, I am against fridge methods of dormacy as they have never worked for me and with the size of my collection it wouldn't be practicle...lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Mar. 14 2006,1:15)]with the size of my collection it wouldn't be practicle...lol
That's the problem I have. I did not think the winters here where enough for VFT's. But, I have to many for the frig method. I also felt like even a weak winter would be better than the frig method.
posticonspin.gif

Back