What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic's of your plants outside

• Thread starter Vixen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
as the topic title say, does anyone have any pics of there VFT and other Carnivorours plants, I'd like the best for my plants. I can put them in tubs, will need alot of help with these plants, and careful exsplaining on how to do things, not that great at following instutions.
confused.gif

You may want to check various posts under the Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens topic Vixen--lots of outdoor pics there.  Check the topics mentioning bog gardens.

Plants outside VFT, pitcher plants (Sarracenia) and temperate sundews will need protection from prolonged periods of cold (below freezing) in the wintertime.   Some growers sink pots into the ground and mulch over with pine needles or oak leaves, then cover with some kind of tarp.  I live in the northeastern part of the US where it gets well below freezing quite often.  I won't sink pots in the ground here--too cold IMO.  I bring them into an unheated sunporch for protection.  Plants will do best outside in spring and summer.  Good luck--sorry, no pics to share right now.

I guess i can help i live in the same climate as posted above,

HEar is a picture I bring mine into a unheated garage near a window in their

(last years plants i was and still kind of am a newb from then)
a74abf83.jpg

KEEP it simple is my word of advice....

Cheers

my website has a myriad of photos one can merrily peruse most gluttonously------

http://candyhighbeams.livejournal.com/

Do you have a website, Vixen? I hope you put up a blog with photos of Vinnie.

Keep your ferrets and other pets away from your plants though! I've always wanted a ferret but many forumers have shared their tragic anecdotes of plants nibbled to death by pets.

Here is a pic of my growing setup from 3 seasons ago..
I have since moved and no longer have this lovely balcony.

cpshelf56qq.jpg

Scot

Very nice areas guys! Scot I like the Bonsias. I will be starting a few real soon. I got out of them a few years ago, but I have the itchey green thumb again! Just got done reading one of my bonsia books again. Happy growing everyone!

All my plants are small right now with short fat spring leaves. When I get home I'll snap a pic or two.
twirl.gif

I have a feeling it's still to cold to put my plants outside. It around 5*c out there at the mo. Going to try and do a easy moveable tub bog garden, so I can bring them in, in the winter.

My ferrets life in an outside encloshour, so very little chance of them ever being in contact with my plants, my dog on the other hand maybe a little hard to stop him pee'in on them.

Here's a few non-professional looking pics of plants that I grew outside (pre-stream experiment days!)

S_purpurea.sized.jpg
S. purpurea & VFT

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_lace.sized.jpg
S. leucophylla/purpurea/dixie lace

S_Dixie_Lace.sized.jpg
S. dixie lace and D. scorpioides in background

Here is my outdoor "bog" constructed by digging two 3-foot by 4-foot by 18-inch deep holes which was lined with black plastic sheeting and filled with Canadian sphagnum peat.
VFTbog355.JPG

VFTbog013.jpg

HOly Cow BobZ!!!

:::droool:::

:::drowns in her own drool:::

Here are a couple pics from May '05.

Enjoy
Steve

gdbogs.JPG

gdbogs2.JPG

gdsize.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 16 2006,1:34)]Here is my outdoor "bog" constructed by digging two 3-foot by 4-foot by 18-inch deep holes which was lined with black plastic sheeting and filled with Canadian sphagnum peat.
Hey Bob, I've started an 8' by 8' by 10" bog. What I need to know is how you get enough water for it. It has not rained here in a couple of weeks. My bog is drying out. It would cost a fortune and take all my time to keep it wet with distilled water. What do you think I should do?  
chatter.gif

Bob and Steve... your plantings are downright scary!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lord Humungus @ Mar. 17 2006,8:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 16 2006,1:34)]Here is my outdoor "bog" constructed by digging two 3-foot by 4-foot by 18-inch deep holes which was lined with black plastic sheeting and filled with Canadian sphagnum peat.
Hey Bob, I've started an 8' by 8' by 10" bog. What I need to know is how you get enough water for it. It has not rained here in a couple of weeks. My bog is drying out. It would cost a fortune and take all my time to keep it wet with distilled water. What do you think I should do?
chatter.gif
Get an RO unit.

Here's a couple of mine from May of last year:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lord Humungus @ Mar. 17 2006,5:48)]Hey Bob, I've started an 8' by 8' by 10" bog. What I need to know is how you get enough water for it. It has not rained here in a couple of weeks. My bog is drying out. It would cost a fortune and take all my time to keep it wet with distilled water. What do you think I should do?
I am lucky to live in an area where I can use tap water because the TDS is very low. In winter, I have no problem because between November and April we get about 50 inches of rain. But, between May and October, we may get a total of 1 inch of rain. So, I use tap water. Check out the tap water in your area. You may get lucky. You can get a report from the Water District office. Otherwise, get a RO unit.

I would be concerned about a 8' x 8' bog. How do you plan to reach the center? That is why I kept mine 3' wide.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello!  
smile.gif

I have all my CP's outside, but since this topic is in the VFT section i'll post pics of my VFT's.

My VFT's are just now going out of dormancy (I am in Puerto Rico, USA, in the Carribbean). Among all my CP's the most expected breaking of dormancy that i experience is the VFT's. For me it is very exciting to see each Spring how my plants have been succesful in their dormancy and come out of it with a lot of energy  
smile.gif

Here are in the same pot, my Red Dragon, Dente and a clumping one:
VFTA22MARZO2006.jpg

Here are a couple of typicals:
VFTB22MARZO2006.jpg
</span>

Sorry I'm late with the picture.
Picture%20744.JPG

Here is one more.
Picture%20777.JPG

There are some very nice bogs posted.

Here's a pic of my minibog that grows outside till temps hit freezing.

minibog.jpg

Back