What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light to induce redding....

glider14

Always a newbie
ok so i got a new VFT and i think it is the 'Big Mouth' variety. the red on it is BRILLIANT!!! i would like to know how you get your VFT's to redden up and stay that way. right now they are sitting on a bright windowsill. can they recieve full light from this?
alex

Most likely Not in the window, i use those compect florecents that last for 4 years tops, though cut this in to about a year maybe they say that that they are tested of off 4 hour use through out the day... But i use the compacts for my terrium (wich is being torn apart into a potted terrium)

One compact on could help the coloration of youre VFT But put it outside when you get the chance if youre able to.

Cheers

ya im planning in mid summer to grow my VFT's outside permenantly but the one i am experimenting with now is burning under direct sun which isnt good. will it get used to this? and could you use a paper towel as a shade cloth or is shade cloth a whole different material?
thanks
alex

Glider, go into the VFT forum to view all the threads written on your favorite plant. Not just your thread, G! All of them. At the top of the page, 2 pinned topics discuss the reddening process, and the triggers to redden the plant, IF they are going to redden at all. The pinned topics are always in gray, and at the top of the page to be easily found. Should read them if you want to understand the "mechanism" to turn a VFT red.

Back