What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Mouth

• Thread starter huy716
  • Start date
Hey guys,
I went to this place yesterday and found that they have few big mouths.  For those of who live in San Jose CA that want to get a big mouth, pm me for location.
smile.gif

Jeff

Or you could just get one from Walmart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 20 2006,2:43)]Or you could just get one from Walmart.
Does the VFT actually say it is a 'Big Mouth'?
I doubt that Walmart would carry a registered cultivator.

I hope that if you buy one there, you do not pass it off as a 'Big Mouth'.

It's obvious, just look at them. Walmart gets Big mouth, dentate, and typical.

You telling me that the dentate I got there is NOT a dentate because I bought it at Walmart? Give me a break.

mine looks A LOT like 'big Mouth" though(got it from walmart too
smile.gif
)the traps are over an inch! but you do have a point elgecko....maby we should contact the distributors....aliright ill get on it.../.
alex

Maybe I missed something but I don't see anyone saying your dentate form is not a dentate. Dentate is easy to spot and determine. Can you honestly say though that your supposed big mouth from walmart matches the original plant and hence could be called by that name? It is generally an unwise plan to assign labels to plants of uncertain origin except in a few cases when it is very clear on specific traits such as dentate teeth. VFT are particularly troublesome because culture, age, and time of the year can make a large difference in the plant's visible characteristics.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Mar. 20 2006,4:32)]mine looks A LOT like 'big Mouth" though(got it from walmart too
smile.gif
)the traps are over an inch!
Trap size alone does not qualify it for the 'Big Mouth' cultivar label. There are many large trap forms, even without considering that a well grown plain ole VFT will easily have traps over an inch.

Post some pics of mature plants in Summer growth and lets have a look!

Tony

A lot of new growers tend to name vft's names, including me when I first grew vft's. How do you know the plants bought at walmart are bigmouth? Trap size doesn't really matter. About 90% of all my typicals will make 1" traps or bigger easily, so does this qualify it as a bigmouth... no. Please try to avoid assuming a vft is this or that because it makes it hard for collectors to collect the authentic plant as many of the vfts now in circulation are not the true plants. A good example is a Red Dragon.

I thought i had purchased a VFT from walmart that was a Bigmouth, after i got educated on the cultivators and crappy walmart brands... boy was i wrong!

Cheers

There are plenty of plants that appear to look like Big Mouth - after all it just happens to have bright red big traps and grow in a tight clumping rosette. Unless the plant is a labelled though, you cannot just call it Big Mouth because it happens to look a bit like one. The plant originates from Triffid Park, so it's unlikely a DIY store in the US will be selling it, especially unlabelled.

Dentate/dente can apply to any shark toothed cultivar according to the ICPS, so it safe to call any such plant Dentate, even if they aren't genetically identical. I don't make the rules up!

I agree of what you said. Without a lable then we can never be for sure it is a big mouth but it doesn't mean that it cannot be a big mouth either. I should have said, the store have VFT that look like the "Big Mouth" in a lot of ways but it may not be.
smile_n_32.gif

Here is a picture of 'Big Mouth' from Triffid Park.  These were from last Spring after settling in and putting out new growth.  Not all the traps were fully colored up yet.  I also grow in about 50% shade on that side of the greenhouse. Not sure just how big they will get.  These were nice size bulbs a few years old but capable of getting larger.  They remained very compact and squat with wide leaves all Summer long.

vftBMouth.jpg

This picture is the plants from the store that Jeff is talking about. These were the 2 healthiest plants they had in stock. This store also has a small selection of tiny Nepenthes and a whole box full of some unidentified Drosera (I think they are D intermedia or spatulata.. some sort of rosetted spoonleaf plant) and also a few D. adelae plants.

Cheers
Steve

vft1.JPG

Full sized pic

At what point can a grower decide to name their own variation? What if you have a plant that's identical to an existant line, but not from that line? Do you still call it a "Typical" or should you call it an "ES-1 (Typical with dark red interiors, and red line on exterior of trap a la "Big Mouth")"?

Tony-AMAZING "Big Mouths" !!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Here is a shot of my "Big Mouth" about 1.5 years ago.
Bigmouth6.jpg

mine had those similaritys to, they turned out to be a common.

Their are to many cultivators to be called a Big mouth, theirs also a few called (some guys name) cultivator i beleive, and a couple others... It also has to do with the kind of conditions its given to im sure.... Lighting, watering, temperature, photo period, amount of nutrience given to the plants.

Cheers

No where did I mention about the dentate form.

This is taken form the ICPS

N: $[Dionaea ' Big Mouth ' {T.Camilleri}]
P: Carniv.Pl.:16 (1998)
S: =[Dionaea muscipula {Soland. ex Ellis}]
HC: name not registered with IRA, description insufficient
B: ?, before 1998
Nominant: T.Camilleri, 1998
Description: Carniv.Pl.:16

"A comparison of a conventional sized trap and the [Dionaea ' Big Mouth ' {T.Camilleri}] variety (sic!) which produces large traps on very short leaves."

Standard: Carniv.Pl.:16 (1998)
Etymology: after comparatively big leaf lamina

As Tony stated post pictures of the plant in different seasons growth. Typicals will start out with short petioles during the spring and get elongated petioles during the summer. Then short again in the fall.

vft guy in SJ: thats the same one i have. OKAY I ADMITT I WAS WRONG TO NAME IT BEFORE RESEARCHING IT!!!!!!!
alex

Back