What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small worms in VFT soil

After I took my small VFT out of the refrigerator last month, I've been noticing several semi-transparent worms, each about 1/8-inch long. What are these things? How do I get rid of them?

I got the plant from my local nursery last year and have been growing it in the peat moss mixture it came in. The plant seems to be fairly healthy.

hi pineapplegrower, welcome to the forums

It sounds like some sort of larvae...any chance you could post a picture of them?

They are probably fungus gnat larvae. Put some good healthy established utrics in the pot and they will take care of them for you. Fungus gnat larvae have a nasty habit of snacking on the roots of young seedlings. I lost several small dews and utric plugs because of them grrrr.

I'd say they are most likely fungus gnat larvae too. Like CNCreefer said, I've lost several plants too because the infestation was too large, and they even killed the utrics too! So once the plants died, I just put the whole pot in steaming water to kill the pests. I don't have any other suggestions to get rid of the worms in the pot, and as long as there's gnats in the air, they will come back and lay more eggs into the soil. However, I find that they're mainly active during the winter-to-spring months, and as spring turns to summer, the gnats and their larvae tend to disappear.

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I'll try a few utrics and see what happens.

Hi and welcome to the forums! You could also repot into fresh soil media.

I had a small infestation of these once, but this GardenSafe Fungicide 3 stuff I found at my Wal-Mart killed all of the larvae, and my sundew made easy work of the flies. >;-D

They're fungus gnat larvae and will not affect mature venus flytraps. To keep them away though, just put a sundew or butterwort next to your VFT to catch the adults.

Back