What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigmouth question?

Hi all it's been a while. Snow is still here in Canada. LOL Although I can feel spring is hear, it was up to 9 C today. I even collected some water off of the eave.

Some of you may remember I ordered some traps form across the boarder last summer. They spent a month in the mail, needless to say some didn't fair so well.

I was looking after the herd today (kids) 1x2year girl 2x6month boys (yes 2 LOL) and had the repotting itch.

I repotted a few of the bigger ones in (the cut off top flip and put inside bottom pop bottle teck).  The smaller ones I just repotted in the same. I have been using a small plastic clear cup (with holes) inside of a larger clear cup. It seems to work well.

The one big mouth I ordered was quite a small bulb and all the leaves and roots were rotted off. Since I have had it, it has grown but has not gotten very big (vertically). I wasn’t expecting it to get huge right away. But the low giant was in the same shape and dwarfs it. The big mouth has formed many small traps. I mean like 50 or so that covered about the size a little bigger than a quarter or our dollar. When I repotted it I noticed that it had formed about 10 new small bulbs around the old one. Most of them were not even connected any more. I separated it into 10 and repotted them. They looked crowded the way they were. Hopefully they will get larger rather than divide now.

My question is, is this a big mouth trait (clumping)?
Maybe the original bulb was stressed enough that it was working at saving it self by dividing so much?
Maybe it has some hormones left from the tissue culture?  

I am happy that I will have some trading material this summer so keep me in mind.

Thanks Stephen

all vft clump. glad to hear its coming back though.

cheers

I have never seen this before. The other traps that I have, have grown to a normal size before dividing, then usually 1 or 2 new divisions. This has been dividing before growing. I hope all of the divisions make it, they are quite small. I have them in a seed starter flat with a 10" clear top. I have the lid slid to one end a little to let fresh air in and bring the humidity down. I am keeping it at 70 to 60% for a wile till they get going.

Actually now that I am thinking about it (back to the top) I do have 2 low giants, one is growing normal getting some 1” traps. The other that I received at the same time is doing the same thing as the bigmouth. Lots of small traps. Not growing upward but multiplying. I think it may be a stress issue, from shipping?

I have noticed another thing, my older bulbs seem to always be growing from the bottom. As the bulb gets older it gets deeper in the medium. I would think this is normal. Anyone know why?
It’s kind of a PITA because if one waters a pot from the top to flush or something, medium can be washed into the center of growth point and from experience it’s not good to have wet medium there.

I have noticed on some of my others red dragon, typical dente, etc, they always are growing roots out the bottom of the container.
Have any of ya experimented with deeper containers? The root systems on these critters are quite small 2 to 3 long roots, going straight down?

Any of ya into TC? I’m giving it a try. I have orchid experience. I have had some problems with sterilizing, and would like to converse if there is anyone out there doing It and are willing to share.

Sorry about the ramble, kind of boring at work tonight.

Stephen

Back