What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for a bit here, and finally decided to register and post especially since I'm now getting involved in this hobby.

I've often pondered the possibility of raising venus flytraps and various other carnivorous plants and last weekend my girlfriend expressed interest in them as well, so I figured now was a good time to get rolling on it. We looked locally but couldnt find any plants (which from what I've read is risky at best). I scoured the internet trying to find fast shipping as come Saturday, it will have been 3 years since we started dating and I figured, what's more romantic than a plant that can eat things
smile_n_32.gif

I finally found www.cobraplant.com. I ordered one full plant for her, and 13 bulbs (the maximum that kept the order under $30). I ordered the bulbs as backups incase the plant died during shipping or the initial stages of her ownership from stress of being forced out of dormancy and uprooted for shipping. I'm currently at school, and so is she. I'm about an hour away from her, but we're both going home this upcoming weekend to visit with our families, and also so celebrate. Monday, I placed the order, worried of the "5-7 day shipping". My brother contacted me today to let me know that the plants had arived. The full plant (which is really two plants in one pot) looks pretty good, and he also noted that many of the bulbs - which I assumed would come in looking like next to nothing for a few months while they began to grow - already had significant growth on them, some having 2-3 traps already. I was pleasantly shocked, especially since they were only $0.95 each.

At any rate, when I get home, the bulbs will be planted to grow out in a 10 gal aquarium (I have plenty laying around from my other hobby with saltwater and freshwater aquariums). My plan, at least, is to use a 2:1 ratio of Spagnum to Perlite mixture with about 1" of pea gravel in the bottom of the aquarium to a total of 6ish inches in the aquarium. Her plant(s) will be going eventually into a 1gal round glass bowl with a similar mixture of substrate.

Lighting is going to be experimented with but I think that now that it is warming up in SE Michigan, I'll be able to let them outside, or at least by an open window that recieves a good amount of sun. If I go the artificial light method, I'll probably be using a Lights of America 65W Power Compact setup that I bought for $15 from a fellow reefer (coral reefer
smile_n_32.gif
). I've also thought about attempting an overdriven normal output setup over the tank, but we'll have to see how things go.

And that, is my introduction to you all. I also participate in many other hobbies including planted and FO freshwater aquariums, saltwater FOWLR and reef aquariums. I have an iguana, who soon will be getting a larger home with me, instead of the 4x2x6 enclosure back home. I'm big time into computers, and studying to be a computer engineer at MSU. I think that covers the bases.

By the way - thanks for the wonderful reading material I've found on this site. And some of the pictures I see here are utterly amazing!

Welcome to the wonderful and addicting world of CPs.

I too have kept fresh and saltwater tanks. Right now I'm back into breeding Leopard Geckos.

Welcome to TF and enjoy!

Yet another Steve on the forum
laugh.gif
. Welcome to the forums!

Hehe, thanks for the nice welcome guys (or girls, whatever the case may be).

I'll be home tomorrow, and I'll have my digi-cam so I'll be sure to get some pictures - partially for my own reference so I can monitor the bulbs' growth over the course of the spring/summer.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, tomorrow I am buying some more sphagum and perlite to fill the 10gal tank with. I realized that I'll need more after including the stuff for my girlfriend.

Welcome to the forum and this new addiction. Start the girlfriend out now and it will be easier on her later !

Again, thanks. Today was a busy day of driving around. 100 miles back from school, then to PetsMart and Home Depot only to find out that the stuff I had was the wrong stuff. Out to Lowes where I found 2 cu. ft of canadia sphanum peat moss for $6. HORAY! I got my bulbs in the aquarium now.

My plan, after discussing it and reading online, is to get them started in the aquarium, and then during the warmer months in michigan, I'll move the aquarium outside in the sun and warm weather. I was excited about the bulbs based upon the pictures my brother sent me - however, I now realize the scale was grossly off. These are between 3/4" and 1.25". Smaller than I expected, but for $.95 I'm not going to complain.

I'm snatching my girlfriend's camera tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to get some photos.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tekknoschtev @ Mar. 31 2006,5:05)]Again, thanks.  Today was a busy day of driving around.  100 miles back from school, then to PetsMart and Home Depot only to find out that the stuff I had was the wrong stuff.  Out to Lowes where I found 2 cu. ft of canadia sphanum peat moss for $6.  HORAY!  I got my bulbs in the aquarium now.

My plan, after discussing it and reading online, is to get them started in the aquarium, and then during the warmer months in michigan, I'll move the aquarium outside in the sun and warm weather.  I was excited about the bulbs based upon the pictures my brother sent me - however, I now realize the scale was grossly off.  These are between 3/4" and 1.25".  Smaller than I expected, but for $.95 I'm not going to complain.

I'm snatching my girlfriend's camera tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to get some photos.
Actually, VFT bulbs stay relatively small. if the bulbs are 1inch or more across, then you have a pretty good size VFT!
In the summer, slowly acclimate the VFT's to the outdoors environment. Also, DO NOT leave the VFT's in the aquarium in the summer because the heat from the sun will build up and cause them to roast. Just set them out in the open air in the summer, and they will do fine.
dewy

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, VFT bulbs stay relatively small. if the bulbs are 1inch or more across, then you have a pretty good size VFT!
In the summer, slowly acclimate the VFT's to the outdoors environment. Also, DO NOT leave the VFT's in the aquarium in the summer because the heat from the sun will build up and cause them to roast. Just set them out in the open air in the summer, and they will do fine.
dewy

AWESOME! Thanks for reassuring me that the bulbs are an ok size. Its funny, I see all of the pictures of these things (even the ones I've taken - see below) they seem huge - and I've seen some pitcher plants that are much larger than I expected. At any rate, I didnt expect the man eating plant, but my size judgement was a bit off bcause my brother was screwing with me in the photos using a modified ruler that over-estimated their size
smile_n_32.gif
What a loser. But its good to know that a 1" bulb is a good thing. I'm used to larger bulbs than that for the size of plant, but then again I'm pretty much a newbie to non-aquarium planted tanks.

Also, thanks for the heads up on acclimating them to outside. I'm used to doing things like that for the corals in my tanks, and when the time came that was going to be a question I asked but you preempted it.

vft.jpg

vftTop.jpg

plantation.jpg

seedlings.jpg

Topic moved to introduce yourself thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back