What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White/Cream Dots on VFT Leaves

Hi all,

I should have perceived that there was a problem earlier with the old leaves of the VFT dying off so quickly. Today, I went to check the plant and here are the symptoms:

1. There are white/cream dots under the leaves and on the traps.

2. I tried to rub these off and they do not come off easily, though I think they can come off.

3. On some of the leaves, there are white fluffy shapes (no longer mere dots).

4. The old leaves are dying off quickly.

5. New growth continues, but the new leaves are small.

6. There are a LOT of ants crawling in and out of the soil.

I have been growing the VFT for 1 year; it's always been healthy and it's only recently that this infestation happened.

Pls help. I'll try to post a pic when it stops raining. I've isolated the affected plants for now.

Looks like you have some scales on your vft, both the regular type and the cottony type. They are similar to aphids both in behavior and feeding. Most likely the infestation will grow, killing the vft, if the problem is not resolved quickly.

Here are some pictures to show the problem:

VFT 1

3 Feb 06:
z23184534.jpg

Around 1 Mar 06 (it's the plant at centre right, half-shown only):
IMG_0775.jpg

Today!!!
IMG_1024.jpg

VFT 2

3 Feb 06:
z23183866.jpg

Around 1 Mar 06 (top left, still looking strong):
IMG_0775.jpg

Today!!!
IMG_1025.jpg

But anyway, here are the "spots" underneath the leaves and traps! They're so well-hidden from the top-view that they went unnoticed for at least a month!!! That's the period in which the plants started to slow on growth and put out smaller leaves. And to think I thought they were going dormant because of the overcast skies we've been getting!

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

Can someone please tell me what these dots are? I've isolated the affected plants and cut away as many of the dead leaves and affected leaves as possible.

Thanks!!!

VFT 3

1 Feb 06:
z23183591.jpg

Around 1 Mar 06:
IMG_0786.jpg

Today!!!
IMG_1027.jpg

And for this one, not only is it infected with the spots, it's also most definitely infected by mealy bugs!

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Good riddance!

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

As can be seen, I've put the whole pot underwater. But given the scale of the infestation, should I repot the plant after 48 hrs of submerging?

Also, will this (putting underwater) work to get rid of the dots, spots as well?

Thank you!

Orthene for scale and mealybug, whitefly and aphids. Submerging for 48 hours is not enough for mealybugs. Want trouble? Avoid using the Orthene while trying home remedies. Scale and mealies deserve the best------DEATH! ORTHENE will kill them dead, and protect the plant for a while after use. USE it.!

Thanks Bugweed! I will... but I've not had luck finding Orthene for sale in Singapore before. I'll consult the local community on where to purchase this. In the event that this is unavailable, can I use anything else?

Acephate is the main ingredient for killing mealy's whitefly, aphids, or scale. Look for that ingredient in an insect killer, and apply by spraying. Systemic, it becomes a part of the plant and will protect it for many days after the initial spraying.

They all look like they need a good repotting as well. I would definitely repot, remove all dead/infected leaves and give the plant a good soak in a fungicide solution for a few minutes. But it definitely seems like there is some type of root rot going on due to overly humid damp conditions.

Yeah what you have ther are mealy bugs.

Is it advisable to put the VFT into dormancy (I live in the tropics) after spraying it with pesticide and fungicide? I read from one of the threads that this has the added effect of keeping the scale/bugs at bay due to the lower temp. My question is - can the VFT take it?

In the end I could only find this pesticide called Provado Ultimate Bug Killer. It's also systemic and kills on contact. Hopefully it'll work.

Better make sure the prime ingredient is in it, or you may have killed the plant. Not saying you DID kill your VFT, but always experiment first (when possible) B4 using on your plants. You NEVER know what will happen to your babies with untested chemicals. If it works, you just helped out your other CP'ers in the tropics!!!

Yup, I found out from a fellow local grower this brand worked on CPs (without killing them
biggrin.gif
) before buying it. Now I hope that results will show soon. I just wish we had Orthene here; I've heard so many good things about it.

A Google on Provado Ultimate Bug Killer shows the active ingredents are Imidacloprid and Methiocarb.

Imidacloprid is a systemic, chloro-nicotinyl insecticide that works by interfering with the transmission of stimuli in the insect nervous system.

Methiocarb is a contact carbamate insecticide-molluscicide. It is used as a bird repellent on fruit and grains, an insecticide, and for slug and snail control.

Back