What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIONAEA PHOTO THREAD

When a VFT flowers and produces seed it uses resources that would otherwise be used to produce leaves/traps, and it might take a while for a flowering plant to recover and begin to grow vigorously again. For this reason, unless seeds are desired, many VFT growers clip off the flower stems. This is especially true for recently transplanted VFTs: it is often considered better to clip the flowerstalks and save the plants the extra stress during their yearly blooming period.

Sure looks nice though--
smile.gif

Thanks xscd, Ive trimmed the flower now that its done blooming, interested to see if the plant recovers and starts sending up new traps.
And a few more recent pics in case anyone is interested:

The typicals are growing well, seems I have 3 growing the longer leaves and the rest are more rosetted, the plant at 6oclock is growing the most, sending up traps in sets of four where the rest are in 2s or 3s.

TypsMay17Above750.jpg

Full size version: http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Mattdp/TypsMay17Above.jpg

Here's a red with little baby plant growing off its side:

RedwBaby.jpg

and finally a shot of two of the nicer looking reds:

2reds750.jpg

Wow. Are the plants in the last shot grown in pure live spaghnum?

I see a lone D. burmanii in the last picture. Those little buggers show up everywhere!
biggrin.gif

They are grown in 50/50 peat and silica sand.
Yep! Burmanni show up everywhere.  My photo album site is listed below.  Go to it and you will see a photo of how they can take over a pot sitting next to them.

I bet this would win the smallest Big Mouth.
P5140075.jpg

A little tissue culture. The lief was .5" long. Im amazed it took.
Enjoy
Stephen

I've been fooling around with my camera lately, and this is what I've come up with:

venusFlyTrapCrop.jpg

Steve: What Drosera is that in your VFT pot? D. peltata? Not the D. burmanii but the other tall one on the stalks.

Yes, the tall ones are D. petalta. I got those as a bonus with the VFT.

Nice bonus
cool.gif

How do you handle the dormancy of that species?

I dont really have a good answer for that.. the one in that pot went dormant all on its own when summer came and this year I have several of them in the same pot. I simply treated it as any other VFT pot and thats what I got.

Steve

Back