What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocks On Top Of VFT Soil Mix

Has anyone ever tried to place small rocks or pebbles on top of their VFT soil? I read somewhere that this method increases the growth of the plant/plants. I like the ideal, because when it rains soil will not splash up on the plant/plants. Let me know if you have tried it, and if it worked.

Thanks...

I don't see why you shouldn't try it. Though, I don't see why anyone would think that it would help them to grow any better. I think maybe you heard that by putting rocks in the water dish it increases humidity? (which I don't think is true)

-Ben

No,it's supposed to raise the heat which in turn makes the plant grow better.Or so thats what is claimed.I will not say who saying this because it will be advertising for them.

Jerry

I tried putting a layer of pebbles on some of them last season, but it didn't seem to affect the plants growth too much. I'll definitely give it a shot again this year.
I've come up with some interesting theories of Vft growth and am currently in the process of writing a short paper on my secrets for vft growth based on my own experience in the past few years and others based on posts from experienced growers.

This theory came from a nursery in Oregon called Sarracenia NorthWest (Cobraplants.com).

You have to remember that the weather up there is cool. If you have a similiar growing zone as the Pacific Northwest, placing the pea gravel on top will help. If you live somewhere where it is hot in the summer, using pea gravel could actually "cook" your plants.

Back