What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, Any tips for a southern Florida VFT grower

Hello,

I have just recently bought my VFT plant form Home Depot so like I have read from other people, its was in a small plastic pot with a cup on top 2 keep it humid. the plants are pretty small no logner then 1 inch and 1/2 each most 1 inch or smaller.

Anyways I live in southern Florida and temperatures can go up to the 90's here sometimes and sometimes even for days at a time liek 2 or 3 not recently but its happen quite often. and its well the sunshine state and the suns shinin down here alot almost all day clouds are really appriciated here when they come around lol anyways i tried leavin my plants outside and it looks like it got fried alot of the traps started diein most of the really small 1's looks like seedlin with only a week or 2 i from wat i read online it should've been ok i think its jus cuz of the cup i left ontop of the pot 2 keep the humidity so im still worried tho dont want them 2 die are they just still 2 young 2 take that much heat that early or was it really jus the cup and is the cup really even neccesary for me down here it does get pretty humid sometiems 2

so anytips for any other southern florida growers would be nice ty by the way im 17 years old and my name is alphy

Alph, NEVER leave the plastic on the pot. Ever! Especially in Florida. You can grow them outside in full sun WITHOUT the plastic cup on. Keep the plant wet, use distilled/rain/RO water only, and let them have a chance to breathe. BTW. You have VFT's growing wild in your State!

o thx so there not 2 young yet the cup prolly didnt let them breath anyways distilled water i can buy that in any major super market around liek publix walgreens? those and the major ones here anyways besides that how do i know i have fed it enough as long as the soil is moist to the touch cuz since im in florida my guess is i would need to water it frequently

Grab a tray to hold the water, put the cup in it, and keep the water level up. When the water level drops down to about 1/4 inch, fill the tray, with the plant in it, with water. Set it in full sun, no cover, and leave it alone to grow. As you get more used to it, you will find VFT's are not that hard to raise folowing basic rules. NEVER water your plant from a house faucet. Your water may have chemicals or other unpleasant things in it that may kill the plant. That is why you need to supply yourself with as as pure a water as you can find.

heres a picture not so good because i took it with my cell phone
smile_l_32.gif
but hey its better then nothing this is so you can get an idea of how small they are
smile_h_32.gif
home depot sucks i heared good things bout walmart online might stop by there

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4270/image0075bg.jpg

Back