What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red spots on leaves

Hello all,

My flytraps have recently developed some red spots on the leaves. Any ideas on what's causing this and how to fix it? Here's a pic:

img_0002_1.jpg

Thanks!

I'd say sunburn or shock from the cold. Have you made any changes in their growing environment lately?

-Ben

I haven't changed their growing environment, but we've been having some very unusual weather in the Bay Area the past couple of months. We had a mini-heatwave in late January, and it's been unusually cold the past couple of months (for the Bay Area at least, mid-50's high, mid-40's at night). Perhaps coming out of dormancy in January coupled with the now dormancy-appropriate conditions is causing this problem? It has also been raining a lot the past few weeks.

Hmm, after taking a really close look, it looks like it may be physical damage. We did have some pretty bad storms this winter/spring, even a bout or two of hail that made a mess in my growing area (soil all over the place, even on the wall). Could it be hail damage?

I don't think it's hail. Prolly not temp either, but then again I'm not all that experienced with diagnosing things. Wait to see if the new leaves also make those spots.

-Ben

I agree with Ben. Looks like some kind of shock. Many of my Nepenthes will aquire those rust-like spots when I receive them and put them into my growing environment. It'll probably go away after a while once your odd weather clears up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmm, after taking a really close look, it looks like it may be physical damage. We did have some pretty bad storms this winter/spring, even a bout or two of hail that made a mess in my growing area (soil all over the place, even on the wall). Could it be hail damage?

That damage could very well be hail damage. I live in the bay area, too, and after we got those some 3 inches of hail in one night, a lot of the plants outside of the greenhouses which I attend have damage lookin' like that.

Easy check: How much hail did you get? Were they hit by the hail? And are other plants that were out in the hail displaying similar markings?

We've been having the same crazy weather down here in Aptos as you guys up in San Fran and roundabouts.

It's hard to say how much hail they were exposed to since I wasn't home when it happened, but the flytraps are in a pretty wide-open area and would be exposed to any hail that we might get. My other plants in the area have little above ground growth (mostly Sarracenia with last season's pitchers trimmed off), so it's hard to use them for comparison. I doubt we'll get anymore hail, so hopefully the new leaves won't have this problem.

Back