What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too many caught

Hey,

I have a sort of strange question. How do you all feel about flytraps catching too many insects? I am growing them outside in pots for the first time and almost all the traps are shut from catching a pillbug there, an ant here, etc. Everyone else's pictures have flytraps with numerous lovely opened traps, while I just have one or two that are open.

I just don't want the plant using too much energy catching and digesting, because some of the prey items stick out (ie, the pillbugs) and run the risk of rotting the trap.

Thanks.

Johnny

For me, the more insects the better.  I do not believe you can overfeed a vft.  In fact, I am always on the constant search for some more insects to feed my vft.  Flys are always the easiest and most caught, followed by various wasps, beetles, moths here and there, and ants and spiders that are hand feed to smaller weaker plants to avoid rotting.  By doing this method of constant feeding, the traps usually don't rot and look great even after a few meals.  During the heat of summer a little over half of my vft traps are closed.  You won't notice the effects of feeding during the season, but next season they'll grow like mad making huge traps and lots of divisions.

I think the problems come when people go out of their way to feed them with odd critters and things that are too big for the plants. They really do fine on their own and if they happen to catch something that blackens a trap, more traps will be produced anyways. Just leave them be.

the same happend to me, my VFT is all closed!, but i tink is fine, well a trap is a litle black but just one!

Don't worry about it. I grow mine outside too, and they are like that all summer long and do fine.

cool beans,

thanks for the input, everyone

Back