What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Misting Help

• Thread starter jkochuni
  • Start date
Does anyone mist their VFTs? I was wondering if this really helps.

I don't,not sure if it would really help.

Jerry

No need and if anything, it would just encourage mould and rot.

I mist them the last year and they all my plants die, so now i buy a foog maker, i dont mist them, but the humidy is hight always, i hear mist Nepnethes is good, but i only hear it abouth neps, i wont mist my VFT cuz the trap close if water touch them .:(

Keeping the humidity high for VFT is overrated, they aren't tropical plants. They should be getting as much light as possible. Besides, if they are getting a lot of sun, the water you mist would evaporate in a few minutes anyway.

That was where I went wrong when I first started growing VFT years ago. Many sites with growing instructions say things like "VFT grow the best when humidity is kept above 50%" and that always worried me. During hot days in summer when the humidity is less than 40%, i'd have them indoors in a terrarium and mist them. My plants never looked good growing there and some died from rotting or molding.

Plants getting a lot of light and low humidity will do a lot better than high humidity and low light.

Great advice, I think I will stay away from misting my VFTs.

I use a spray bottle to mist them but that's to keep the peat wet.

The only reason I mist my VFTs, is to look busy so I won't get stuck doing something else, like taking out the trash.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does anyone mist their VFTs? I was wondering if this really helps.

No and probably not. Misting raises local humidity for only as long as it takes for the mist to evaporate (not long). Plus, VFTs don't require much humidity to thrive.

I agree with most of the comments. I grow VFT in New Mexico, US, where the humidity is rarely higher than the mid teens percent, and sometimes down into the single digits. I do nothing to intentionally increase the humidity in my VFT growing space, although in the summer we do use an evaporative cooler in the sun room / greenhouse.

When I place my VFTs outside to feed (we have trillions of billions of dairy-generated flies around here), the only precaution I take is to keep them out of the direct wind, which on these grassy, naturally treeless plains is often strong, hot and very, very dry. Other than that, the low humidity doesn't bother the VFTs at all (I do let my new ones adapt gradually to lower humidity though, and try not to stress them too bad all at once), and they are all not just surviving but thriving. The idea of planting a VFT in a terrarium seems odd and unnecessary to me personally. If I can grow them here where there is almost no humidity, then people ought to be able to grow them almost anywhere (except antarctica, perhaps
smile_m_32.gif
) if the soil is kept moist, right?

--Just my small addition to the discussion
smile.gif

Back