What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have 2 Questions?

ok i have been studing this and maney other sights about care and all that stuff - i only have 2 Q's
first question is i fed my vft sow or pill bugs about 19 days ago and they still have not opend up yet they were about 1/3 the size of the trap i have 2 plants with about 10 traps on them so i fed 3 on eatch plant (just hoping i did not mess up)

second question is dormant when it is time
i think you up root the plant spray it with anti fungus stuff wrap the roots in the moss stuff keep damp, put in plastic bag and install into the reff. for 3 months or intil spring- the up rooting thin is what got me concerned - just pull the plant out rinse the roots or what

It gets verry cold up hear in the winter so out side is not an option. Thanks for any help    
smile.gif

Don't worry if the traps don't open up after feeding. Sometimes they just don't. The plant will be fine though, no need to worry. Most likley the closed traps will die off and new traps will replace them.

I dont know much about dormancy. In my area I can leave them outside right on through winter. But I think you have the right idea on what to do.

As said above, don't worry about the old traps. There will be new ones. Dormancy can be done in a variety of ways. Some remove the plant from the soil and apply a fungicide before putting in the fridge. I put two pots of VFT's directly into the butter keeper, as is, and that worked. What I do now is have VFT's, Sarracenia,s, cobra lily, temperate sundews in bickets of minibogs. When mid-November rolls around I just take the bucktes up to the attic and place at a south window sill, as is. It's cold enough for dormancy and the photoperiod at the window sill hads in one direction and then the other. by March or thereabouts, the plants, responding to the light, wake up on their own. Very easy and almost natural.

Back