What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flytrap seperation how to?

I bought two pots of vfts from a garden center alittle while back and it looks like theres ALOT of plants in each pot.
It's wall to wall little flytraps.
I asume there not long out of tc.
I want to repot and with there being probly 50-100 plants in each pot I was wondering if I could try to pull them apart, but I'm not sure if this will damage such tiny plants.
this is the first time I have dealt with multiple very small vfts.
it would be great if I could somehow seperate them to give them some space to grow.
so ant tips will be greatly appreciated
peace,
Adam

One one hand, you might want to leave them be for this year. If they are tiny as you say, they are a few years away from adulthood, and probably won't grow dramatically larger this year. The best time to repot VFT's is early spring as they are coming out of dormancy.

On the other hand, if you have that many, even if you kill half you'll still have tons!

Here's what I do: I have a sink-mounted RO water spout so I run water over them to clean the medium off and expose the rhizomes and roots. The tricky part is separating them without damaging the roots. Again, running water helps or swish them in a bowl to gently separate them.

Back