What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Color.

I have two VFTs growing in the smae conditions (same tub outside) one I've had growing there for a full year, the other I've had only for  a month. The one that has been there for a year has a rich green color, with traps that a rosy on the inside. The other is young and was fully green but this week I noticed it that is turning red from the center out, and the new leaf it is putting of is red already.
I don't understand why it is dping this. Is it still in shock? And if so should I do anything for it or let it acclimate. I saw the post with discussions on hale damage or frost, but it has been in the mid 80s as a high and mid 50's as a low. We've had rain everyother day. Here is a pic. (if I can get it attatched.)

My VFTs that have been used to shady or low-light conditions often turn red like this when suddenly exposed to a lot more light. In addition, when they are transplanted and some of the paler base of the leaf becomes exposed to the light, that section of the leaves develops this red color. It seems to be the plant's way to try to protect itself, like humans tanning in the sun, at least until it adjusts to the much higher intensity light. Otherwise the leaf might be sunburned then dry out and die.

Either give it a little more shade for a while, to adjust to the higher light comfortably, or if it has survived so far by turning red and not burning, then give it a little time (a month or two) and it should adjust fine to the new light level. The new leaves that develop in the brighter light will not need nor show so much red (unless it's a naturally red variety).

Just my two bits--
smile.gif

Mine did the same thing when I took them out from a terrarium and let them grow in full blasting sunlight. Everything turned shades of red, but don't worry, that's a good thing I think. As long as your plants haven't been burnt to a crisp, the new leaves they grow will be much more robust, red, and hungry.
smile.gif

I used to complain my traps never got red and now I can't keep them green.

Johnny

Thanks for the help. Since it's been okay so far I'll give some time to adjust then.

Back