What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I doing this OK?????--Help needed...

joossa

Aklys
Hello everyone. I bought 2 VFT's about 2.5 weeks ago and was wondering if all I am doing is ok...

I have both of them in a terrarium. there is an inch of perlite at the bottom and a 2in layer of 60% peat and 40% perlite at the top. I have only had to clip a couple of traps that turned balck, and several new ones have formed. I lightly mist once a day to keep the moss moist and to keep humidity up. I have them under a bright 30W house bulb for about 7.5 hrs per day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ May 09 2006,9:02)]Hello everyone. I bought 2 VFT's about 2.5 weeks ago and was wondering if all I am doing is ok...

I have both of them in a terrarium. there is an inch of perlite at the bottom and a 2in layer of 60% peat and 40% perlite at the top. I have only had to clip a couple of traps that turned balck, and several new ones have formed. I lightly mist once a day to keep the moss moist and to keep humidity up. I have them under a bright 30W house bulb for about 7.5 hrs per day.
I would increase the photoperiod to 15 hours a day and use a 42 watt CFL from Home Depot. Also, humidity is not important for healthy VFT growth. Light is more important.
dewy

Ok, I also stumbled upon this while reading about winter dormancy... its it acceptable/ok to use when winter comes?
confused.gif
?

If you live in a place with winters that are too cold (i.e. frosts are common) or too hot (i.e. southern Florida, Malaysia, Hawaii) then your winters will not be appropriate for a Venus Flytrap. In this case, you will have to provide an artificial chilly winter. Since I grow my Venus Flytraps in terraria, I fall into this category. Each fall I put each plant and its pot into a plastic baggie and store it in a refrigerator (NOT FREEZER!). About two or three months is sufficient. After this, the plants will grow just fine for another season. Sunlight is not crucial during this refrigerator dormancy, because it is like a deeper kind of dormancy. I frankly do not think this is quite as good as the normal, sunlit dormancy I described above (since my plants rarely flower) but it is an acceptable alternative.

Where do you live? You might want to grow them outside if you can.

You can follow that, or you can let them go a few years without a dormancy. Wont hurt them, but what will hurt them is the 30w house bulb. Get a 30-45w compact florecent bulb and stick it within 6 inches of the plants. Dont worry about humidity at all.

You live in Southern Cal and you are growing in a terrarium????? WHY???????????

confused.gif

Yeah, I also wonder about people who grow VFTs in terrariums or are careful to mist them frequently.

Even here in New Mexico, US, where the humidity is zero (well, almost), I have never grown VFTs in terrariums nor misted them. It seems overly fussy and is completely unnecessary. They do fine in the open, moving fresh air and lots of sunlight. And the medium only needs to be moist, not constantly saturated or soggy, although VFTs seem to tolerate waterlogged conditions pretty well too.

hey, would you guys feel it's necessary to harden off a VFT bought from Lowes?  Or can it go straight to being uncovered right away?  

johnny

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hey, would you guys feel it's necessary to harden off a VFT bought from Lowes? Or can it go straight to being uncovered right away?

If I bought a VFT from Lowes, I would take the lid off and transplant the plant (after a half-hour to one-hour soak in water with a few drops of Superthrive) into a larger pot with more room for the roots to grow and more soil buffer against temperature-extreme changes (a small pot's soil can get very hot in the sun very quickly, damaging or even killing the roots in extreme cases).
smile_h_32.gif

I often use an 8 or 10 inch diameter pot, and plant 3 to 5 VFTs or more together in the same larger pot as a colony. Too small a planting container can stunt the growth of a VFT, making it kind of like a CP bonsai. Such a plant, when transplanted to a larger, deeper container, can really stretch out and grow a lot bigger very quickly, up to its maximum size.
smile.gif

I would leave the plant in bright light but not outdoors in full direct sun yet, because the plant is probably spindly and weak and has been forced to grow with too little light, and with too much water for the amount of light it gets.

I would then accustom it over a period of 2-3 weeks to more light (including some full sun, indoors or out) and less humidity, and I would keep the soil moist but not soggy.

I never keep a pot in a tray of water myself, unless I have to be gone for several days and have no one to care for the plants during that time. However, some people do apparently have good results using the tray method, keeping their plants in trays containing water most or all the time.

My personal feeling is that VFTs appreciate and grow better with more air around their roots even though they can tolerate water-saturated planting medium pretty well and for a fairly long time. However, I believe that keeping the planting medium a little drier (aiming for moist instead of soggy) also helps to prevent various problems like crown and leaf rot from fungal infections.

Likewise, lower humidity also helps prevent fungal problems and VFTs are amazingly adaptable to low humidity. I know this because the humidity in my area, a high and dry treeless plain, is extremely low, and my VFTs grow just fine without me purposely trying to increase the humidity around them. I do however try to shelter and protect them from the full force of the harsh dry wind in my region (eastern New Mexico US) when they are outside.

best wishes,

Steve/xscd

^as usual, Steve...extremely informative and helpful.  Thanks.

Yea mine's in a small pot right now, but I had thought about getting a bunch and putting them in a bigger pot.  I'm enthusiastic about getting a forest of flytraps going.  Maybe I'll splurge for my bday and just get a bunch from Lowes.
smile_m_32.gif

I grow them in a terrarium becuase i live in a high desert area. This place experiances high winds and extreme temps. It got up to 94 today, just imagine how how it will get in the summer! Not to mention the freezing winters. I basically have no other choice than to grow them indoors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I grow them in a terrarium becuase i live in a high desert area.

Hello joossa-- Where do you live? I live relatively high and dry too, at 4000 ft with very little rain, extremely low humidity, and strong, hot, dry winds.

I grow my VFTs indoors, in a sun room (like a greenhouse attached to the house), and I put groups of them outside for several hours to half a day at a time to catch bugs, and I make sure the wind isn't blowing or I put them in a spot sheltered from the dessicating winds (the wind alone can dry things so fast here in New Mexico, US that it can create mummies of dead bodies, and has done just that on occasion).

I don't grow anything in a terrarium, including my VFTs. All my plants are in pots exposed to the fresh, circulating air, which forms my chief complaint about terrariums--the enclosed space may concentrate humidity (which VFTs don't really need that much--they happily adapt), but it also may concentrate or accentuate problems, like insect pests and fungal and bacterial microorganisms in the unmoving air and sometimes undrained water. If you do allow or force air into or through the terrarium, you dramatically reduce the humidity that was the reason (presumably) you placed the plants into the terrarium in the first place.

In short, plants growing in a "display case" may be an attractive idea, or attractive in reality if one can clean the algae that may form in the soil and keep the sides of the terrarium from fogging with condensation and obscuring the view, but terrariums are not necessarily healthy for your plants, and the plants will adapt to a great degree to lower humidity so long as you make sure their medium is always moist (not too wet for too long though--not soggy all the time).

In addition to not being the healthiest way to grow your plants, terrariums make it more difficult for you to maneuver around and tend to them, to trim leaves, to spray orthene or some other insecticide on the undersides of the leaves to kill scale, mealybugs, mites or aphids that wander in decide they like it in your terrarium and begin to raise huge families, to remove plants for transplanting, etc.

If you have already invested in a terrarium, you may want to give it a try. I did the same thing the first time I grew carnivorous plants. But after they all died (an enclosed terrarium, like a greenhouse, can concentrate the heat from sunlight and quickly become an oven in a matter of 15-30 minutes, baking and killing the plants, among other problems a terrarium can cause), I began to grow them in uncovered pots in the open air of the greenhouse with frequent bug-catching expeditions outside instead.

--Just my two bits. Have fun.
smile.gif

wow! thanks so much for the great and helpful detailed explination! That really hlped a lot!

XSCD and I agree completely on growing outdoors or out of a terrarium. Had more trouble with fungus' and molds than was necessary. The day I learned I could grow outdoors, I was ecstatic. Changed everything for me, and I was able to duplicate their growing conditions to a "T". Still grow outdoors, even in 10% humidity with no trouble from the plants at all. My VFT's grow in a working bog, complete with running water flow through the soil they live in. Lots of oxygen is drawn through the soil due to water flow, and my VFT's are an absolute jungle. They are looking really good this year with about 120 scapes. Many flowers means TONS of seed!!! Ready, Copcar??????

VFTs are wonderful little plants. Good luck with them joossa.

Since you live at a high altitude, you no doubt know how intense the sun can become because of the thinner atmosphere, which at lower altitudes diffuses and softens the light. So, if you decide to plant your VFTs in pots, you might look for some of the insulated foam pots to plant them in. These prevent the roots from cooking when the sun heats up the sides of the planting container too much.

These foam pots insulate like styrofoam beverage containers (which is what I use to grow small VFT divisions, the 16 ounce styrofoam cups), but they are made of polyurethane foam instead (by various companies/brands), and are more decorative and attractive, rigid and tougher than styrofoam.

Best wishes. Enjoy your plants--
smile.gif

Hey Bugweed, do you mind posting a picture of your VFT jungle?
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My VFT's grow in a working bog, complete with running water flow through the soil they live in.

That sounds really great, Bugweed!
smile_n_32.gif

I might try a larger bog sometime. The closest I come is to plant VFTs in small colonies of 3 to 5 to 7 or so plants in containers that are 6-inch, 8-inch or 10-inch diameter, so that I can carry them outside to sun and catch insects. I don't plant single VFTs in a smaller container anymore, because it seems to me to cramp their roots and stunt their growth, even in a traditional 4-inch pot (which is a fine diameter but needs more depth, in my opinion), and a larger bog would be heavy and unwieldy to carry.

I could create a bog outside, but the primary problem here in the high-altitude, arid region where I live in eastern New Mexico, US, would be the wind. This dry-grassland plain has no natural windbreak and no natural trees--not even one native species!--and the wind is often fierce and gusty, literally shaking plants to death, tearing them up in its turbulent flow, drying them out, whipping up sand, etc.

Our small vegetable garden has a solid fence (not wire) around it to help protect those plants not only from hungry small creatures but also the wind. One year not tool long ago the wind whipped up a sandstorm that abrasively tore at any plant more tender than the tough scrub and leathery dry grass (dry on top, living underneath the soil, turning green only briefly after a rare rain), until they were eaten away all the way down to the soil surface and roots.

Anyway, it's awfully hard to grow anything in this wind. Every year we have a beautiful display of tulips and other spring bulbs, until the first day there is wind after the blooms open. Then the blooms all wither and dry in the course of a few hours and that's the end of that Spring show.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 12 2006,12:28)]They are looking really good this year with about 120 scapes. Many flowers means TONS of seed!!! Ready, Copcar?
confused.gif
??
I'm still swimming in seedlings b/c of you
smile.gif
And this year I have about 5 scapes that I'm thrilled about. So I've got to find a place for them now.

joossa: Dont worry about temps. My VFT's easily survive 110 degree temps for months on end here in Texas. They will be fine fully outdoors

Since you already have a terrarium, you should get some sundews and nep's to stick in there.

Back