What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 VFTs need to be repotted

Ok i bought 2 vfts from lowes they arent the small ones but the big ones. should i put them in the same pot or in indivsual(sp?) pots? and what soil recipe should i use?

I would put them in 4 inh pots with a mixture of half peat moss to half perlite.

Going with two 4 inches is probably a good idea. The recipe is up to you; some people go straight sphagnum, straight peat, or perlite 'n sphag', or peat 'n perlite.

I myself use 100% peat, but it couldn't hurt to throw in a little perlite.

should the container be drained or should it be like an minibog?

oops sory guys im such an idiot lol i only have one of them lol *hits self on head*

I use 50/50 peat sand mix in 3 or 4 inch drained pots. The pots sit in a tray with about 1 inch of water in it. VFT's are like D. capensis for me, I just yank them out and stick them in a new pot and away they go.

Strait-up LFS for me. All my VFT's love it.

Get deep pots if you can. A four inch diameter pot is fine, but I notice appreciably better growth when I have my 'traps in pots six inches or deeper. I think they like being a ways above the water table - it's probably the extra air getting to the roots or something.
~Joe

And to add to the variety of responses, I keep mine as a minibog, mixing with sand & peat and LFS on top. The minibog is drained. They don't live in wet conditions and should be encouraged to develop their roots.

Back