What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange deformation

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Lately my Green Dragons have been producing some strangely deformed traps. I havent noticed any insects nibbling on them or anything like that. Its been happening on different plants so I cant say that its just 1 plant going bad. The affected plants are all planted in the same mini-bog, and are all in various stages of flowering. I suspect that flowering is the cause but was wondering if anyone else might have an opinion as to whats causing this.

Thanks,
Steve

deform1.JPG

deform2.JPG

deform3.JPG

deform4.JPG

Sorry, Steve. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it looks like your plants are strung out on Superthrive. Evidently its been withheld, and they are JONESING!!!!!! Works that way sometimes. Better put them in rehab, and spray them with orthene. That will calm them down.

Superthrive? Never touch the stuff. I just gave them a good dosage of Orthene about 2 weeks ago.

I think Lord Humungus had the same problem as you. It seemed to be a red cloned vft too, so maybe it is some type of t/c mutation that happens every once in a while?

Well then its toxic poisoning due to orthene. (Am I giving you a bad time?? HOPE SO!!!) Mine did the same a little earlier in the year, and now they look fine. Wait'em out and see what happens.

....and if it doesn't straighten out on its own, you got yourself a cultivar! It'll go right alongside of mr. Zeimer's 'Wacky Traps'!
laugh.gif

Its a Kind of Foliar Spray.

its a concentraited substance based with Hormones and Vitamins the plants like. Dilute the dosage and spray youre plants every 2 weeks, explosion in growth with out Any insects.

Its exspecialy good for neps.

Any ways,
thats happaneing with one of my Store bought VFT's I think it is probably a TC deformation. But so far Its getting realy red leaves. Dont know why they would TC a red form instead of a common.
confused.gif
Oh well, But IT hapend When I moved the VFT outdoors.
Hope every thing goes well from you.

Is... Is that a mini trap growing out of another trap?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Steve & Buggy, here is my guess. I need not tell you Bay Area folks that this has been a strange climate year. We had a very warm and sunny February and all my VFTs came out of dormancy and started putting up flower scapes. Then March and April turned cold and rainy and everything went back into semi-dormancy. My outside plants have just resumed growth within the last couple of weeks and many of them have deformed traps. I think that these were traps that were starting to develop in February and then stalled. I bet that subsequent traps will be normal.

According to Barry Rice, Suprethrive is nothing more than B vitamins and the equivalent of "snakeoil".

B Vitamins and Hormones, it says so on the bottle silly!

Boy! Superthrive is a ROOTING HORMONE, and vitamins. Not for anything but rooting your cuttings. NOT for a foliar spray. It does give plants a real boost the first few times you use it as such, but they settle down after a few sprays, and resume the same old growth pattern. It is often misused and given a bad name by those who claim their plants grew taller than a telephone pole, or their VFT got so big, it ate the mailman. AND, took the family dog with it. A ROOTING HORMONE WITH VITAMINS. That's all.
Please use it correctly.

confused.gif
hmm what about regular use once every 2 weeks??

aww man so all this ive herad was a bunch of cantalope?

Cheers

As far as I know it's best to use for getting a plant over repotting/poor care shock. Use it maybe once or twice a year. Anything more isn't going to do you any good, as the plants will have given their rooting-all.

Back