What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic self-watering pots

I remember reading that typical terra cota pots should not be used because they can leach harmful minerals into the growth medium, so I restrict their use to my collection of non-carnivores. But what about the ceramic self-watering pots--the ones with the permeable inner pots and glazed outer pots. Are these safe for use with VFTs and other CPs? I'd like to get a few VFTs out of my terrarium and out onto my deck, but don't want to pot them up incorrectly. The plants have survived the better part of a year in the tank, but I am sure they'd do much better out in the sun.

I have heard that ceramic is not harmfull to CPs. That said, personally, I dont necessarily trust a system that requires the water to pass through anything more than the gowing media itself. Honestly I have never heard anyone say good or bad about those pots. Perhaps if you have a few extra plants, you could be our test subject and let us know if they work or not.

Good luck,
Steve

I don't know about ceramic pots but as far as self watering pots go.... My plastic one has worked great. You can see it right here.
Andrew

hey my mom uses those for her herbs! i never thought of using them for CPs! once i get more pitcher plants ill use them for that!
alex

Ive thought of using the LARGE African Violet pots as Ceph (maybe nep) pots. I tried it with my VFT thinking it would be enough, (in the begining) but I think it has a less water than a VFT would want.

Cheers

I use two glaized ceramic "african violet" pots for my Darlingtonia. They work perfectly. The opaque, pale, reservoir makes the water and soil stay rather cool, too.

I think the thing with ceramic pots and CPs is not to reuse pots that have been used for other plants; if the pot was frequently watered with mineral-heavy water, then it will have taken up some of those minerals and will leach them back into the soil when you water your CPs. Lots of folks here on the forums use ceramic pots. New ceramic pots shouldn't have many minerals to contribute (what little they do contain should be at a safe level,) and any traces they do have will be carried away if you top-water with CP-safe water and let the excess run off. The real down side to ceramic pots is that they wick away water and dry your plants/water trays out faster.
~Joe

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go ahead and give one of these pots a try when I transplant my VFTs soon.

Back