What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Lure?

Hey! I just came up with an idea! Could I put a potato chip on top of the soil under a trap as a lure? Cause it seems my VFT hasn't caughten a thing and has been outside for 3-4 weeks! Just an idea! Any hints on how to get more bugs to my traps would be much appreciated!!!

Do you have a dog? One of the best ways I know of to attract flies to a yard is to let the dog do his business nearby... pretty soon your plants will be gorging themselves on flies.

Maybe just catch one yourself? They don't need to be fed all the time anywho, though they don't complain if you give them a lot...

-Ben

poo!! Could I put some dog/cat/hampster poo in the dirt!? Would that work?

Don't put it directly in the VFT pot.. A small deposit nearby should do the trick nicely.

putting poo into pot = fertilizer for plants

which defeats the whole purpose of having low-nutrient soil for growing CPs

lol didnt think of that! LOL Oh well with summer approaching more flies should apper which equals more food for my plants!

Ha yah another one that works well, (at least for my sarracenias) is to place the plants near flowering bushes or other flowers, it attracts necture and pollen loving insects, which in turn attracts them to your hungry plant. There was nothing more satisfying then seeing struggling insects under a cherry bush.
smile_n_32.gif

Back