What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my fellow newbies...

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
turns out the chance of some punk squirrel biting off flower buds increases exponentially the closer it was to actually flowering.

solution: some sort of chicken wire frame around the VFTs (and neps, too...the jerk stole about 5 pitchers that were about to open
mad.gif
) that allows sunlight and delicious bugs to get in, but not squirrels.

i learned this lesson too for the first time this year. I started growing my Sars, Neps, and VFTs outside so they would be more robust, but I forgot the predator factor. Recently a couple of birds decided to consummate their mating rituals by jabbing at my flytrap traps and snipping off new buds. They also poked holes in the bottom of my Nep pitchers so all fluid would flow out and now they've dried up. Not cool.

I have a plan involving the use of bait, an industrial strength vacume cleaner, a tank of liquid nitrogen and a rotating compost bin filled with rocks.....I might patent it!

I was actually thinking how cool it would be to have a trained hawk...there used to be a hawk that would hang out on the quad at school and feast on squirrels that were fat from dining hall dumpsters.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 09 2006,11:52)]I have a plan involving the use of bait, an industrial strength vacume cleaner, a tank of liquid nitrogen and a rotating compost bin filled with rocks.....I might patent it!
No duct tape, crazy glue, WD 40, bazooka, or coat hangers? How is it going to work?
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, Emily, I think you have a viable solution with some caging.

Not so seriously... a trained freshman, part of some prof's dissertation, such that it can utilize college funding, may be utilized as a glorified scarecrow. Just make sure he is fleet of foot, dedicated, and likes herring.
smile_m_32.gif

actually, i have heard of people using fake owl and hawk decoys to ward off birds...but i figure that'll only last so long...
smile.gif

Yea, I say just automate the dang scare crow to breath fire when ever something moves inront if it. You would just need a motion sensor, some kind of buton so it doesnt scorch you, gas tank, Gas pump, and some kind of lighter!
laugh.gif

Ive foud toads laying in the pots...

Cheers

Hanging CD's works great for birds..
keeps them away for good.
Not sure about squirrels though.

Here is a post I made about CD's..from a few years ago:

CD's, compact disks.
take 2 old unwanted CDs (the millions of free unwanted AOL disks you get in the mail are good)
put them back-to-back so the shiny silver side is facing out on both sides, drill a hole near the top, and hang with string.
I have about 5 of the spinning disks around my plants.
totally keeps birds away!
the disks constantly spin and move in the breeze, shining light around and looking like big scary monster eyes, the birds cant deal.

when I first set up my CPs on my balcony 2 years ago I had bird problems, birds tipping over pots and digging in the moss.
once I set up the CDs, not one bird has come near my plants..

june11024yv.jpg

Scot

^ingenious.......and hilarious too

No problems here with birds.  The resident Perigrine falcons have decimated local birds...except for the seaguls and pelicans.
perigrine_falcons.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ June 11 2006,3:43)]^ingenious.......and hilarious too
*checks out stash of blank CD's*

Back