What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

akai ryu and seeds

cp_productos,

If and when u decide 2 give away some seeds, send some my way and I'll call them anything u want me 2!!! I really don't want any seeds though, and I agree with Bob Z. Just be honest and say the seeds are a cross of whatever two cultivars you used.

BCK- that's not really what i meant
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 02 2006,8:57)]BCK- that's not really what i meant
confused.gif
Could you explain, please? I'm not sure what you ment otherwise.

it's not practical to have a DNA analysis on a VFT. if the plant looks EXACTLY the same and is given to you as green dragon (or whatever) from a reliable (there are people i woudn't trade with no matter what plant they had or how rare it is) source hen the DNA is the same, since it is a cultivar,(especially if you can trace the plant's owners) and then you can say it's a green dragon.

for example, if i bought a VFT from wal-mart and it looks exactly like a green dragon, but is not labeled, i can't say or assume that's what it is. sure it's similar but the DNA could be different.  if it is labeled as a green dragon and looks exactly like one, then it's ok to say it's a green dragon  (even though chain-stores aren't great for labeling their plants, lets assume this wal-mart is)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 02 2006,6:46)]....for example, if i bought a VFT from wal-mart and it looks exactly like a green dragon, but is not labeled, i can't say or assume that's what it is. sure it's similar but the DNA could be different. if it is labeled as a green dragon and looks exactly like one, then it's ok to say it's a green dragon (even though chain-stores aren't great for labeling their plants, lets assume this wal-mart is)
OK, I gotcha. What I was trying to point out is that according to the ICPS (who makes the rules for naming CPs), if a plant matches the published description of a cultivar it can be called that cultivar, even if the DNA is different. It sounds bass-ackwards to me, but that is what they decided. I would rather it was a genetic match myself but the ICPS says a physical match of the published description is good enough. Clear as mud, right? It's better than people being able to name a plant after a well known cultivar when there is no similarity, but it adds its own confusion to the process also.

Yeah BCK thats what had me thrown for a loop when i first got itno CP cultivars.  Since with orchids the only time a plant can be called a certain cultivar is if its a devsion of the original plant, or a TC culture of that plant.  Hence they have to be a genetic match to be called that cultivar in the orchid world.  Its totaly different in the CP world, and that leave room for more variation too.  Since some plants can look like a described cultivar one year then the next look totaly different.  I recieved a red dragon and the year I recieved it it was red, but this year after dormency its green with red on the boarders.  Not tataly red anymore, granted I don't know the descrition of red dragon so it still may fit, but it does look different this year from last.  So I am with you.  I wish it would have to be a genetic match to be considered a cultivar.  So you wouldn't have a red dragon when you do say a red dragon x self or even a red dragon x red dragon cross because we all know sibs do not have the same exact genetic mack up as the parents.  I have a Gongora tricolor "live Oak" that I selfed and I can label the offspring as Gongora tricolor "live Oak" x self and not Gongora tricolor "Live Oak".  Just my feelings too.

the ICPS rules are BS

Back